Wild Altums

nanoer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2010
California, Socal
Ah, you have Orinocos.... which have shorter dorsal fins. They are sexy when grown up with the nice streamers on their tails later.

I have the Adabapo ones which have a taller dorsal fin. IMO I love them both equally! My next collection will be Orinocos for sure.

You have some nice top tier angels my friend ^_^

Reactions: Lilyann

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Ah, you have Orinocos.... which have shorter dorsal fins. They are sexy when grown up with the nice streamers on their tails later.

I have the Adabapo ones which have a taller dorsal fin. IMO I love them both equally! My next collection will be Orinocos for sure.

You have some nice top tier angels my friend ^_^
Thank you, wasn't sure which ones they were- now I know. :)

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
it's hard to tell which river they are from when they're small. most altums imported the past few years has been atabapo. as they get bigger you can tell better. orinoco altum have rounder body and more blue ish tone to their body. while the atabapo altum have a higher body and has more red to the body generally taller fins. yours have short fin's because you got the last of the batch. you got these from wetspot which is a store. so people already picked out the nicer ones with long fins leaving the left over ones that has short fins. most likely due to stress and amonia burn when shipped to the states. altum's are very sensitive fish. for the the longest time. importers didnt handle altum with care. thats why they werent many available before because they ship so bad and people didnt want to import them. . now importers are handling altums with care. and QT'ing altums in their facilities for weeks before importing them to the states. so they ship better and have higher survival rates.

the fins should grow back, sometimes it might not grow back how its suppose to be. so they might always have short fins. i have one that had short fin when young. his fin never grew back like the other ones. so he has shorter fin than the rest. but still looks stunning. also it depends how they're raised. i believe they do best and look their best in soft water.

Reactions: Dloks

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Thanks for this. I will treat them like my discus juveniles . Frequent water changes, premium foods, vitamins. If it’s possible to get their finnage back, they will have all the opportunity to do so. Regardless, I am smitten with them.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
@ Altums85 tell me this... don't you think these are atabapos? I have about 44 of them (not all in the same tank) I get them straight from the wholesalers. When they get ammonia burn it looks very different from how the orinocos look. These are true atabapos.

View attachment 1351105 View attachment 1351106

View attachment 1351104
those are healthy nice altums, and i would assume those are atabapo altums. all altums have long fins. either orinoco or atabapo or venturi or rio negro altums it doesnt matter. the OP altums are fairly young still. it should have nice long fins unless shipping and stressed and diseased happened causing their fins to rot away giving that short fin look. and bigger altums are more sensitive to ship especially straight from south america. i sold some altums to a friend. one year later. my altums look way nicer than his. his have short fins while mine are longer than his. all from same batch as mine as well. cant really tell which river altums come from based on their long or short fins. all altums have long fins. i believe the soft water maintains that long fin. thats why every wild caught altums from the wild have ridiculous long nice fins. but if youre water isnt good their fins dont get so long. i have noticed most of the nice altums in captivity i see from videos with long fins are from europe or asia. i believe their water is a lot softer with lower ph and they use a lot of rain water in their tank. which are perfect for south american fish. but true atabapo's or not. most altums look very similar. it all depends on the water and care in my opinion.

look up jj ong altums. i believe his are true orinoco if i recall correctly over at finarama. and he has some of the biggest and best looking altums i have ever seen on youtube and i have pretty much seen all altums vids on youtube. only person that can compete with his altums are this youtube guy that has some venturi altums. they are always massive. but they look different than jj ong's altum.

jj ong altums, check out his vid when he first got the altums. very long fins.

venturi altums these are massive aswell. but u can tell these look diff than jj ong orinoco.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Jmahn

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2017
Scotland
looking great mate good job

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store