Wild Apistogramma borellii

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I took the male and second female out of the tank and left the brooding female alone with her fry....I think I may have seen 5 tonight....they don’t stay close to the mom like they use to

Oh yes she did it.

Kingster

Piranha
MFK Member
May 21, 2018
this is the second time my female has laid eggs, last time the male picked off all the fry before I could move them out.

Yesterday I noticed my female was guarding eggs that were laid on the underside of a leaf, they hatched yesterday as well. The fry are clinging onto a rock next to the leaf.

I moved the male and other female to another tank and left the female and fry in a tank to themselves!

View attachment 1338364
those look like panduros

Kingster

Piranha
MFK Member
May 21, 2018
They don’t have the red/orange seam on the tails.

I also cannot successfully raise a batch of fry either, three batches and not one survivor yet!!
one questions, have any comments or knowledge about pandorus/

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I’m not familiar with them at all actually, I just googled pictures and they look a bit different from my borellii....that’s about all I know about them

My water is hard and not really geared towards Apistogramma. The only reason I bought these guys was bc they sometimes do good in harder water....

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Maybe you could remove some of the fry to a Separate tank
So I tried leaving all fish together, got eaten
Tried leaving them with just the mom, got eaten
Tried moving some to another tank with just snails, all died somehow....

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Well as of right now this will be my last post within this thread.

I’m about 95% sure I’ve lost my male.

Last week I added some new leaf litter to my tank and the following day all fish were near the top trying to get air, I changed 80% of the water and then 50% back to back, rinsed my filter, and waited...still gasping, I removed the leaves and changed another 80% followed by 50% of the water....all seems to be getting better

I add some cappatta leaves to the tank, fish finally returning to normal, except I haven’t seen the male in two days now, also no body inside or outside the tank.

The only question you might have is what causes the ruckus? I was going through my fish leaves and other things that were around this tank and noticed someone unplugged my oil air freshener and laid it on its side, all the oils ran out of the bulb and all over the leaves that I put in the tank prior to the problems :-(

I’m un-decided if I will sell the females or keep them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store