Wild Caught Malayan Golden

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Here is another wild caught fish. When people talk about Malayan Golden, they always think that all of them are golden. Actually no. They comes in variety of colors like blue, green, purple & of course golden.

PicsArt_12-14-09.40.54.jpg

This is actually semishort fish, shortbodied fish do exist in the wild but rarely available. I'm guessing I'm the lucky one.

PicsArt_07-22-12.01.13.jpg
PicsArt_07-22-12.01.26.jpg
IMG_20221215_173639.jpg

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
It's too bad the blood lines of all the "wild" fish got messed up after the farms around Bukit Merah dumped so much farmed stock into the wild after the financial crisis about 15 years ago. If you look at photos of F1 Asian arowana from the 1970's/80's they were very different fish. But at least there are still some swimming in the wild, even if their genetics are mixed up.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
It's too bad the blood lines of all the "wild" fish got messed up after the farms around Bukit Merah dumped so much farmed stock into the wild after the financial crisis about 15 years ago. If you look at photos of F1 Asian arowana from the 1970's/80's they were very different fish. But at least there are still some swimming in the wild, even if their genetics are mixed up.
Can't find them. Do you have those photos? Though mine aren't from THE Bukit Merah, they're from different river, Kurau River I think

Last edited:

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
If you want to find some photos, I recommend doing a search on the "old" www.arofanatics.com website. It dates back to 2000 and has an extensive data base of Asian arowana articles. Otherwise, try to find copies of the old Japanese Asian arowana books.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Are you allowed to keep wild caught Asian Arowana? The reason for CITES Appendix 1 listing is to protect wild stock... I thought only captive bred micro chipped fish are legal.

Would appreciate any clarification.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Are you allowed to keep wild caught Asian Arowana? The reason for CITES Appendix 1 listing is to protect wild stock... I thought only captive bred micro chipped fish are legal.

Would appreciate any clarification.
Yes but the laws regarding it are loose. The ones that u can't bring home are the ones that was released for conservation around Bukit Merah area. Those released fish have microchips planted in them, they can be tracked. Others, you can take them. Same goes with the green arowanas & the recent viral story of long lost green nami arowana. Poor guy, its dead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store