Will a 3 inch datnoid be ok with two 6 inch datnoids?

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Generally no, though I'd keep an eye on them until the 3"er starts eating regularly. In most cases more datnoids creates a larger pecking order so no one dat gets the brunt of any territorial aggression. Two can occasionally have problems but this also isn't always the case.

CaliFishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2017
Is it just due to eating purposes or will the big ones eat or attack the smaller one?

I have the 3 incher and he eats frozen tilapia like a pig out of my hand. Picking up 2 6 inch datnoids today and not sure if I can put them together or separate.

Separating is an option but I would like to have the 3 together if the big ones won't eat or kill the small one.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

CaliFishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2017
I also have one that is an inch in a different tank. He only eats blood worms. Someone in a different forum said they do better in a group of 4. Should I put the 4 together or is that too much of a size differences?

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
I won't tell you what to do woth the 1" one but from extensive reading, talking with others, videos and my own experience datnoids almost never eat their own kind. I've heard of ot once amd the little one was immediately spit out. In the past I've put approx 1"ers with 4-8" and the little ones flare up to "100%" stability when they see the big guys and the don't have any issues.

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
As for your 3" datnoid, I misunderstood. I took it as you adding a 3" into a tank with two 6" datnoids in which case I would advise keeping an eye on the smaller datnoid potentially getting hazed until it was eating wellto ensure it could thrive with the others long term. Since you'd be adding the 6"ers instead still keep an eye out but if your 3"er is eating well already I wouldn't have too much concern.

CaliFishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2017
Thanks! Yeah I was wondering if the 6 inchers would eat or harass the smaller one that I already have. I learned the hard way with Bichirs and decided to ask this time Thanks for all of your help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store