Will drying out my fish net still cross contaminate?

Michaelscarn23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2020
Will letting my fish net dry out contaminate other tanks? Will letting my battery powered syphon also contaminate? I’d also like to thank everyone here for being so helpful and quick to respond. You guys make this site MUCH better then reddit

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
If you are using it to medevac a sick or dead fish I'd at least squirt it down with vinegar and water. I keep a bottle beneath the tank. Some people have a bucket of solution for all their tools like the blue crap the barber used to keep his combs in. Ecch!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; The short answer is simple drying is not a foolproof way to disinfect. Some stuff will be taken care of a thorough drying but not for sure all. Decades ago a very good fish shop kept containers of a blue solution to dip their nets into. I suspect this solution was methylene blue. Methylene blue is likely good enough for such a task, but it is a dye. It will stain things. Some stains being permanent. Get it on your fingers and they are blue for days. I guess it does have the advantage of being ok to take a net from a soak in a mild solution directly into a tank.
Sounds like you need a quarantine procedure. Using some equipment in only one tank and not in multiple tanks.

If I have a known pathogen or contaminant such as slime algae I use a clorox solution to disinfect any suspect equipment. You will have to have a second solution of something such as PRIME, SAFE or other water conditioner on hand. Soak the equipment in the clorox solution and before using it in a tank rinse it off and then a soak in a solution of PRIME to neutralize the clorox.

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
South Orange County CA ?? USA ??
Hello; The short answer is simple drying is not a foolproof way to disinfect. Some stuff will be taken care of a thorough drying but not for sure all. Decades ago a very good fish shop kept containers of a blue solution to dip their nets into. I suspect this solution was methylene blue. Methylene blue is likely good enough for such a task, but it is a dye. It will stain things. Some stains being permanent. Get it on your fingers and they are blue for days. I guess it does have the advantage of being ok to take a net from a soak in a mild solution directly into a tank.
Sounds like you need a quarantine procedure. Using some equipment in only one tank and not in multiple tanks.

If I have a known pathogen or contaminant such as slime algae I use a clorox solution to disinfect any suspect equipment. You will have to have a second solution of something such as PRIME, SAFE or other water conditioner on hand. Soak the equipment in the clorox solution and before using it in a tank rinse it off and then a soak in a solution of PRIME to neutralize the clorox.
I agree with you on method of using bleach I also
Used to bleach my dead white coral in my old
Salt tank for a few days in a bleach solution they’d look super white and new again then I’d rinse off and soak in water and water conditioner for a day or so usually flushing it out also it’s a bit of work but it make my corals bright white again

my input on this is agreeing itS
Safe to soak in bleachTo clean as long as you do a soak in Water conditioner afterwards to remove chlorine you can also let let it dry in the sun for added protection

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store