Will endli bichir live?

fishmarket

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2021
earth
I have a 7 inch endli who got bit by a 15 inch gar. The gar jumped out the tank with the bichir and fell about four feet onto wood flooring. I rescued him but he was bleeding and lethargic, seemed to swim normally again after a few minutes. Just wondering of the bichir will recover. Also, are bichirs easily blinded? Worried that his left eye got bit. Will eyes regenerate? Got rid of the gar btw.

PXL_20210314_010159138.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not sure but the next 24-48hrs will give an idea. If the eye is starting to haze up then it could be lost. Keep the water pristine and reduce any stress. Watch for any floating. Don’t feed right away.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Looks like he got the eye. Let me ask you two things:

Can you get a picture of the injuries?

and two, how did you manage to get that photo?

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
What others said, endli’s are like tanks in my experience. Will depend on wounds, any open gashes? The good thing is their eyesight is pretty bad to begin with and predominately use their noses so one eye lost isn’t a life threatening injury. Good water, low light and potentially amoxicillin or melafix if there’s a large open wound

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
While Melafix might prevent infection, it won’t stop or cure infections that have already set in

fishmarket

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2021
earth
Thank you all for the reply. I came home and saw the gar holding the endli and immediately tried catching the gar which caused it to jump. My girlfriend was with me and took a few pictures while I was getting the net. No visible wounds and the eye looked fine for now, I just know there were wounds because there was some blood on the floor when they jumped out, probably just puncture wounds? Had a friend who was interested in the gar and happily took it away. Will post updates tomorrow as I had to leave for work right after the incident.

fishmarket

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2021
earth
12 hour update. Endli seems fine other than a few tiny puncture wounds. Eyes look fine. Only concern is one of the tiny puncture wounds on the head slightly inflates as he breathes. Hard to spot unless you look really close. Should I be concerned? Please pardon the mess, literally vacuumed two days ago with water change but currently dealing with algae amd snail outbreak.

PXL_20210314_134729952.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store