Will this idea work?

Sharkfan27

Feeder Fish
Jun 3, 2017
I plan on setting up an underground lagoon with 1 bonnethead shark, 2 port Jackson sharks, 5 yellow stingrays, and some groupers.
Is that a good idea?

Also, what makes sharks and rays so hard to keep?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They are not hard to keep but they are very expensive to keep.I'm not sure what you mean by setting up an undergtound lagoon but what size tank are you going to use for this idea?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You would realistically need like a large public size aquarium to house those fish . Most grouper get too large for even the largest of home aquaria. Also you would need a large filtration system installed by qualified experienced installers.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You would realistically need like a large public size aquarium to house those fish . Most grouper get too large for even the largest of home aquaria. Also you would need a large filtration system installed by qualified experienced installers.
Very much agreed.

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
Is that a good idea?
Truthfully, no.

Also, what makes sharks and rays so hard to keep?
This tells me you aren't going to do it right.

Your bonnethead dictates your pool size, so you would need around a 20' diameter or 30' x 10' oval to keep one as an adult.

Your questions tell me you shouldn't start with one. Ditch that fantasy and setup a smaller pond with just the port jacksons and some rays. Or maybe research more to see if you can keep temperature requirements for them. Maybe think of what your abilities are and what you can actually do/handle, and plan stocking around that.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
When ask what size tank you were going to try to use you said
The biggest I can get
So what is the biggest you can get? Will the animals I want to keep be comfortable for life in this tank?
Can I install and maintain this size tank properly?
Ask yourself questions like that. Answer them honestly to yourself. This will help guide you in the right direction. Its okay to have dreams but when its time to actually take on these animals you have to be honest and real to yourself and you will be happier and so will the animals you choose to take responsibility for.

Reactions: tlindsey

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
This thread remind me about a LFS store owner told a dude that a horn shark combo with a stingray will do fine in 100G tank....I hope the OP didn't get similar idea from similar LFS answer and think his basement would be big enough :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store