Winter hardy Catfish

frasertheking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
scotland
Does anyone know any small winter hardy catfish that can live in a pond ? under 15 inches
ive been searching and all i can find its wels which get massive
any help ?
cheers
Fraser

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
frasertheking;4295712;4295712 said:
Does anyone know any small winter hardy catfish that can live in a pond ? under 15 inches
ive been searching and all i can find its wels which get massive
any help ?
cheers
Fraser
Yes , we have what is called the Stonecat which is under 16 inches long and can be bought online by North American Native lfs (Jonahs, Sachs Aquaculture, later in the year Zimmermans fish);......we also have Snail,Flathead, and Spotted Bullhead which are hard to find but all get under 16inches and could live in a pond. Our Brown, Yellow and Black Bullhead get 18-24 inches and are quite common, I am not sure what the laws are on exporting these fish to Scotland, but you may already have Stonecats and Spotted Bullheads owned by catfish enthusiasts on the Island....I would check planet Catfish to see.

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
warmouth;4295845; said:
Yes , we have what is called the Stonecat which is under 16 inches long and can be bought online by North American Native lfs (Jonahs, Sachs Aquaculture, later in the year Zimmermans fish);......we also have Snail,Flathead, and Spotted Bullhead which are hard to find but all get under 16inches and could live in a pond. Our Brown, Yellow and Black Bullhead get 18-24 inches and are quite common, I am not sure what the laws are on exporting these fish to Scotland, but you may already have Stonecats and Spotted Bullheads owned by catfish enthusiasts on the Island....I would check planet Catfish to see.

I could be wrong, but I have never seen Sachs Aquaculture or Zimmerman carry any of these species. Nonetheless Jonahs which I just looked and they currently have nothing which is the weirdest thing since its summer.

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
xspainx69;4296020;4296020 said:
I could be wrong, but I have never seen Sachs Aquaculture or Zimmerman carry any of these species. Nonetheless Jonahs which I just looked and they currently have nothing which is the weirdest thing since its summer.
I put down all the native fish dealers I thought might carry them (I know for sure Ive seen Stonecats for sale last year).....Btdarters on the web might have them also. I have seen them before but couldnt remember what online native lfs had them (last year I regularly visited those 3 plus BTdarters). It is mid-summer right now so the fish are still spawning (they dont start in many areas until spring); most LFS mail order fish dealers wait until their fish are at least a couple of months old (past swim up and wiggler stages) before they send them out. I am sure they will have fish by late summer/early fall.

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
Foxlarocks;4298159;4298159 said:
I doubt you will be able to get them to ship to you.
zimmer doesnt even ship to canada.
Wow Fox I didnt know that....sorry to hear that, Zimmermans has a really good rep. I wondered about the legalities, I know where I work we have to have itemized lists and other official paperwork to get our products across the border to Canada. Have you tried Jonahs or Sachs?

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
Stonecat (Noturus flavus) 1 - 12"
Semi-community. Does well with any fish too large to fit in their mouth. Can be kept with darters if sufficient food is provided to allow the stonecat(s) to feed heavily and the darters to get sufficient food too.
C $7.99 ea or 2 for $15.00 Pictures
Sorry this is so late Fraser but Btdarters on the web is carrying stonecats, and one madtom.

ptrhenry52

Feeder Fish
Aug 3, 2010
USA
It look up some scotland native catfish.Largemouth bass and Smallmouths are not easy to take care of in an aquarium.One more thing to keep in mind is to cover the tank you're keeping it in. I'd even go as far as blacking it out except where you lighting enters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store