Wolf fish breeding?

Hasircoglu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2014
Lancaster Pennsylvania
So I wanted to try a new breeding project and thought about trying rainbow wolf fish. It seems pretty straight forward. I was wondering when they breed in the wild though, I would think if you can recreate the natural conditions that trigger breeding in the wild it would maybe insight breeding in captivity. So if anyone has any experience or information that could help i would appreciate it
Thanks in advance

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
So I wanted to try a new breeding project and thought about trying rainbow wolf fish. It seems pretty straight forward. I was wondering when they breed in the wild though, I would think if you can recreate the natural conditions that trigger breeding in the wild it would maybe insight breeding in captivity. So if anyone has any experience or information that could help i would appreciate it
Thanks in advance
I don't know that I've ever seen it done. Most of those SA species are triggered with changes in water temp lol that's as much advice as I have.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It hasn't been successful anywhere. Makes and females cannot be determined. Has been suggested by bigger girth and more of a hump on males. These are guesses and seem to be suggested. Water temps and simulating seasons would be the best way to go about it but hard to do. Good luck.

Reactions: Chicxulub

Hasircoglu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2014
Lancaster Pennsylvania
It hasn't been successful anywhere. Makes and females cannot be determined. Has been suggested by bigger girth and more of a hump on males. These are guesses and seem to be suggested. Water temps and simulating seasons would be the best way to go about it but hard to do. Good luck.
Thanks! I'm thinking if I get enough of them in a large tank or small pond there will have to be at least one of the opposit sex. I've considered lots of things for creating a seasonal change including increased water levels, increased flow, introducing rain and other stimuli that would centre around the seasonal wet/dry changes

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks! I'm thinking if I get enough of them in a large tank or small pond there will have to be at least one of the opposit sex. I've considered lots of things for creating a seasonal change including increased water levels, increased flow, introducing rain and other stimuli that would centre around the seasonal wet/dry changes
Good luck.

Tiger Alchemist

Feeder Fish
Dec 18, 2018
Let me know what you find on your experiments, I'm going to buy 5 baby wolf fish right now and hoping to breed them and trade them in my local fish shop for store credit xD

zacc

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2015
United Kingdom
Has anyone had any luck yet. I too am wanting to give this a go, but there just isnt alot of information about the fish to start with.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I heard they are bred in ponds in Florida.
Quick Google found this.
http://www.fishtanksandponds.co.uk/profiles/hoplias-malabaricus.html

"Breeding has been achieved by hobbyists but it is extremely difficult to maintain a pair of adult fish in the same aquarium. The pair will spawn in a prepared pit and post spawning the male will guard the eggs and he will continue to guard the brood for some time after the eggs have hatched."

Reactions: Johnsnow33

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Started to be available in Germany with cb malas. Posted on fb by aquarium glazer. I hope if they are breeding in fl they don’t lose any in the established ponds. Those things would decimate the native fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store