Wolf fish for a comm tank?

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Got to love those teeth.. Jesus!! Coming down on the side of the wolf fish, as Mbu seem to fragile, and now it’s a case of availability.... hoping to get a Curu but if not realistic will get the Mala... thanks gents
Mbu are no way fragile.

my mbu is not one of those gentle giants, unfortunately.

He has eaten quite many of his tank mates, including an lda105.

Their skin even though scale less is quite tough, even crab claws can't do much damage to it, almost like tough leather.

Reactions: moe214

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Mbu are no way fragile.

my mbu is not one of those gentle giants, unfortunately.

He has eaten quite many of his tank mates, including an lda105.

Their skin even though scale less is quite tough, even crab claws can't do much damage to it, almost like tough leather.
i have kept a huge fahaka before so I know they can be resilient, but I have been told that they are very susceptible to being bullied, not prefect water quality, diet etc and can just stop eating and die.. after my fahaka died I can’t have another wet pet die on me

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
i have kept a huge fahaka before so I know they can be resilient, but I have been told that they are very susceptible to being bullied, not prefect water quality, diet etc and can just stop eating and die.. after my fahaka died I can’t have another wet pet die on me
I am keeping mbus, and yes they can be bullied quote easily, I used to have barbs the same size as the mbu, one day I notice the mbu was sullen and sitting at the bottom, I couldn't understand what the issue could be, the next day too he was sitting at the bottom, the water was perfect, no other changes to the tank were done. After some time I see that the mbu was trying to poop out the hard part of the crab claw he had eaten a few days ago, and the barbs trying to eat the mbus poo, were pushing the undigested claw back in. One of the weirdest moments.

Last edited:

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
Hey guys,

I love that emperor snakehead.
Would buy one in a heartbeat but I am to afraid that one day he decides to kill some fish.
Everything peaceful so far?
For how long do you had this combo?

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
I am keeping mbus, and yes they can be bullied quote easily, I used to have barbs the same size as the mbu, one day I notice the mbu was sullen and sitting at the bottom, I couldn't understand what the issue could be, the next day too he was sitting at the bottom, the water was perfect, no other changes to the tank were done. After some time I see that the mbu was trying to **** out the hard part of the crab claw he had eaten a few days ago, and the barbs trying to eat the mbus ****, were pushing the undigested claw back in. One of the weirdest moments.
That is one is the weirdest and grossest things I have things I have ever heard of in fishkeeping!! And I have seen my fahaka eat a live snakehead face first!

• Haha
Reactions: headbanger_jib

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Hey guys,

I love that emperor snakehead.
Would buy one in a heartbeat but I am to afraid that one day he decides to kill some fish.
Everything peaceful so far?
For how long do you had this combo?
Emperors are quite peaceful with other large fish, it’s not overly territorial and it quite disinterested in the other fish. The only problem child is the Red Devil who has become a bit of a knob since the re-scape! Only had the emperor since Christmas so not to long

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Okay, update I got a 10 inch Hoplias Curupiru! He went in the 220g on Wednesday.. he had a bit of a run in with the emperor but no harm done and he has made a little nest behind a large piece of bog wood till he settles. No injuries to any other fish, most of whom have come and introduced themselves. He isn’t eating yet but I guess this will come with time.. anything I can do to make him feel more at home?

77C782F2-F10A-4625-8D94-B9E1E3A44EB6.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not much more. Wait and see. Good area for the wolf to have.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Nice looking fish. And now he may teach you patience as mine did :) lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store