wolf herring

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Has anyone ever heard of a fish called a Wolf Herring? I recently purchased one that is about six inchesin length.It looks like a relative of the Payara fishes with the upturned mouth and the body shape. I dont have any information on it in any of my Atlas books but Ido know that it is an Asian fish.I will continue to research this fish and learn more,it seems to be doing well with a Cachorro and a Tiger Vittatus as tankmates. Iwould like to read anyones experiences if any.Thanks.

lilfats2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2008
Long Island
I have a Payara.... REAlly cool fish

lilfats2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2008
Long Island
sorry i dont have information about a wolf herring... but my payara is best friends with my ATFG and they are both eating guppies...

andregurov

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
future wetlands, Louisiana
You'll probably need to post a pic, as I've seen both Rhaphiodon vulpinnis (South American) and Macrochirichthys macrochirus (Asian) sold as such. Either way, going to be a big, toothy, not-very-aggressive-but-quite-predatory shiny silver fish. Big as in 20" for the vulpinnis, and 38" or so for the macrochirus. Enjoy!

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
should be a raphiodon vulpinus.
much like scombs.
they get to about a foot max in captivity like scombs.

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
andregurov;1421319; said:
You'll probably need to post a pic, as I've seen both Rhaphiodon vulpinnis (South American) and Macrochirichthys macrochirus (Asian) sold as such. Either way, going to be a big, toothy, not-very-aggressive-but-quite-predatory shiny silver fish. Big as in 20" for the vulpinnis, and 38" or so for the macrochirus. Enjoy!
I agree with you!

if you're certain that is an asian fish, then it must be Macrochirichthys macrochirus, which is a cyprinid and not characin, which lacks the adipose fin, the little fin right before the caudal fin (tail fin). this fish, though it looks like the sabertooth, or rhaphiodon vulpinnis, its not aggressive at all, and upon closer examination, has no saber fangs, and not noticeable teeth at all! good luck, its a rare find, much harder to come by than the other ones!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks for responding,it is definately a Macrochirrus currently it only likes to eat guppies and small Rosey Reds. When I figure it out, I will post photos for all to see.I couldnt resist netting it and taking a closer look at it's mouth and jaw developement,no teeth but the lower jaw comes to a point and turns up at the tip.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store