Wood for Indo-Malayan aquascape

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Planning on cutting up the following piece of wood into smaller branches/pieces to be part of an Indo-Malayan aquascape in my 2nd 473 liter.

Those pieces are going to be included in the following aquascape (minus the piece of wood in the middle of course, but with some fake plants at the front), layed out in the fashion of the following to emulate branches or chunks of wood in a lake, swamp, or river.

1642365013550.png1642365002595.png

Any tips or tricks I should know for a better/more natural aquascape? Or will I get a good aquascape as outlined above?

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
I like that piece of driftwood as is but would position it so that the longer branches reach upwards into the tank (from bottom to top of water). This will most likely require attaching it to another similar looking piece of driftwood so that is free standing. I wouldn't cut it up.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Thanks to both aussieman and Fishman Dave. As I'm fairly new to biotope aquascaping, the tips on both the positioning of the branches and on wood making itself smaller/looking more unnatural when cut are things I had not thought of before, so are especially appreciated.
I'll have to keep an eye out for wood that looks like the 2nd image without having been cut. This thread will be updated if I find a good piece and a good position for it.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree, I would not cut the wood up.
And Cryptocorne are some of my favorite Asian aquatic plant species, they will tolerate low light, and low nutrient conditions, i never used CO2.
I often grew them in my sumps with just hardware shop lights, in PFS as substrate.
Above a crypt tank during a water change.
Java fern is also apropos for an Asian biotope, another easy to keep plant, and works great attached to water logged wood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store