Wooden aquarium life expectancy

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Good question. I want to build one some day. I suspect that if it doesn't leak after initial setup then it's probably good to go for a long time.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Tbh all you will get is assumptions. Everyone who builds there own aquarium with plywood uses different products for sealing and different methods of building.

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Tom's absolutely right, there are lots of variables to consider before putting an accurate lifespan on a plywood tank.

There are three main areas for me. Structural build of the box itself, sealing and attachment of viewing panel.

I'm a complete overkill type of guy, i'm confident in my building skills, and i'd make the actual carcass stronger than it ever needed to be. I'd have no qualms at all in sticking my neck out and saying the actual box itself could be made to be virtually bomb proof and last for decades. On the other hand I wouldn't be as confident in saying the same about the interior waterproof sealants and/or the longevity of the viewing panel. But that's just my personal take on it.

Matthew G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
North Dakota
Okay thanks guys. It would be easy enough to build the box to withstand the water pressure. I was looking at using pond armor for the sealant and was just wondering if it had a lifespan? Are there any guys that use pond armor and have had a tank more than 10 years? Thanks again

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I would use a waterproofing membrane that can accommodate future layers easily. So repairs are simple and won't require removing the existing.

Guinness

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2005
Oak Lawn IL
Im currently building my second. The first didn't fail, I moved and it wouldn't fit through the door so I had to destroy it to get it out. I think my current build will outlast me. It's 8' x 4' x 29" tall. 29" tall so it fits through the door and I can take it if I move. Used doubled 3/4 baltic birch. I towed it to line x and had the inside and top coated, then it got 4 coats of sweetwater epoxy paint. According to the mythbusters, it is literally bombproof.

20190517_233525.jpg

20190520_145715.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store