Woot guess what my Fahkapu just did..

tezr

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
Austin TX
www.rivercityaquatics.com
ate massivore from my hand!!!! I love this fish such great personality....

I call it a Fahakapu because it was supposed to be a pustulatus but looks like a fahka with red dots in it's stripes...

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
cool be careful it would hurt like hell if it bit you

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
they have awesome beak power...thats cool.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Thats cool my Fahaka eats krill and silversides out of my fingers. How large is it and post a photo. When smaller in size they are mistaken or sold as pustulatus because they are similar. I hope you did not pay the Pustulatus price tag for a Fahaka.

tezr

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
Austin TX
ShadowStryder;1923275; said:
Thats cool my Fahaka eats krill and silversides out of my fingers. How large is it and post a photo. When smaller in size they are mistaken or sold as pustulatus because they are similar. I hope you did not pay the Pustulatus price tag for a Fahaka.
Nah I got a good deal but would have been a great deal if it was the spotted pustulatus...

He is around 7" or so....

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I would say Fahaka but at that size I would have thought the lines would have been more complete. I have read that some believe that their territory overlaps and you get hybridization between the two. IDK

Here is a photo of mine at 3.5-4" Personally I would put some sand in bottom of your setup, mine loves to bury himself in it.

Fahaka 2.JPG

tezr

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
Austin TX
ShadowStryder;1924258; said:
I would say Fahaka but at that size I would have thought the lines would have been more complete. I have read that some believe that their territory overlaps and you get hybridization between the two. IDK

Here is a photo of mine at 3.5-4" Personally I would put some sand in bottom of your setup, mine loves to bury himself in it.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=237919&postcount=123

I saw this post by fugupuff about the ones he got in and it does look like mine might be a hybrid or some undescribed species or var.
I actually have 2 and the 2nd one has more defined stripes but there is still a lot of red in them..

tezr

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
Austin TX
well I tried co housing them in a 70 gallon tank and it lasted about 2 mins before they were circling and I said nope....

The 70 has sand on the bottom and my bigger Fahkapu is now resting half burried. Thanks for the tip SS....

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Welcome
Yeah they won't do well together. Even if male and female. Substrate will also make them more secure. I am not a big fan of bare bottoms, causes fish inside to see shadows and reflections easier, startling them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store