World record flathead controversy?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Ok so the world record flathead was supposedly caught on 12 lb test while crappie fishing,but the real red flag is he said it didn't put up much fight (the fish is over a hundred pounds. Thoughts? Comments?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Fish weighed 123 lbs and was caught in elk city resevoir by ken paulie (perfect mob name lol) in Kansas

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
It was electric shocked, floated to the surface, and snagged with a crappie pole.
I live in KS about 3 hrs away from Elk City Creek and also happen to be an avid cat-fisherman, typically fishing for Blues at Milford Lake.

The "story"/"controversy" I have heard time and time again is that the gentleman in question was fishing on the damn on the rocks for crappie. While doing so, the 123lb flathead floated/swam over, he spotted it and the fish was nearly dead. The man either snagged the fish with a roadrunner he was using and/or grabbed it by hand and landed it, and the rest is history.

I don't know if there is any legitimacy to these claims or where they originated, I do know that plenty of seasoned cat-fisherman have strong feelings about it and love giving their 2 cents about it.

I do know that catching a healthy 120lb fish on 12 lb test and a medium action rod and reel sounds really suspect. Sure, there are plenty of IGFA records for low lb class test line that sound crazy. I also know that people get salty and cry foul when something happens that isn't in line with their beliefs and or when they have spent time and money trying to land a monster fish, and someone who they feel is "unqualified" catches a lunker.

I hope for the sake of integrity that the claims of foul play are just stories, but people will form their own opinions regardless. I'd like even more for the record to be broken in a manner that lends to being more legitimate (i.e. by a seasoned cat-fisherman, on appropriate tackle, using traditional flathead fishing methods)

Either way, it makes for a good story.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Yes, it does. 12 pound test to 120 pound fish. Is like reeling in a 12 pound largemouth on 2 pound test.

It was definitely dead or dieing.

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
Yes, it does. 12 pound test to 120 pound fish. Is like reeling in a 12 pound largemouth on 2 pound test.

It was definitely dead or dieing.
A 12 lb largemouth on 2 lb test is not hard if you are fishing open water. I've seen some Japanese anglers go ultrafinesse with 2lb line and catch massive bass (not quite 12lbs, maybe 8-9lb fish only but still impressive)

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Any idea on how many hours of playig the fish? The problem is typically having the fish turn and run. Stripping all the line off the reel. When the fish still has 24 pounds of bollard thrust, (12 pound) bass.
I guess being in a small boat, with a bow thrust trolling motor, might help.
Then using a extra long handled dip net. Or Gaff hook.

I

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
Any idea on how many hours of playig the fish? The problem is typically having the fish turn and run. Stripping all the line off the reel. When the fish still has 24 pounds of bollard thrust, (12 pound) bass.
I guess being in a small boat, with a bow thrust trolling motor, might help.
Then using a extra long handled dip net. Or Gaff hook.

I
Bass don't fight very hard, with a boat and a trolling motor landing a 12lb fish isn't impossible with 2 lb test I think.

BTG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2018
While me and my uncle were ice fishing, he hooked and landed a 42 inch northern on 2 lb test. I can tell ya it was a lot of fun to watch!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
While me and my uncle were ice fishing, he hooked and landed a 42 inch northern on 2 lb test. I can tell ya it was a lot of fun to watch!
No kidding,about how long did it take to pull him in?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store