Worms in my ray tank!

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don't keep rays and thus, have no experience with their sensitivity to medicines.

The photo of the worms does not allow identification, but planaria are relatively common in tanks, and a likely culprit. Planaria are NON-PARASITIC, and are harmless to the fish, although unsightly and indicative of other potential issues. Usually they disappear on their own after fixing the problem. Perhaps overfeeding? Or perhaps they were simply introduced recently with decorations or something else. If they were accidentally introduced and overfeeding is not taking place, they should dwindle on their own. Also, they hate salt, even at low concentration.

I know you already ordered the medicine. It may be effective - I don't know it.
However, in their own description it states: "Also kills Planaria and non-parasitic nematode worms"

Planaria are Platyhelminthes (flatworms), NOT Nematoda (= Nematelminthes, or roundworms). Just the improper wording of their advertisement regarding the taxonomy of the creatures it supposedly acts on, makes me trust it somewhat less, even if effective.

14crazychris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
I don't keep rays and thus, have no experience with their sensitivity to medicines.

The photo of the worms does not allow identification, but planaria are relatively common in tanks, and a likely culprit. Planaria are NON-PARASITIC, and are harmless to the fish, although unsightly and indicative of other potential issues. Usually they disappear on their own after fixing the problem. Perhaps overfeeding? Or perhaps they were simply introduced recently with decorations or something else. If they were accidentally introduced and overfeeding is not taking place, they should dwindle on their own. Also, they hate salt, even at low concentration.

I know you already ordered the medicine. It may be effective - I don't know it.
However, in their own description it states: "Also kills Planaria and non-parasitic nematode worms"

Planaria are Platyhelminthes (flatworms), NOT Nematoda (= Nematelminthes, or roundworms). Just the improper wording of their advertisement regarding the taxonomy of the creatures it supposedly acts on, makes me trust it somewhat less, even if effective.
Thank you for the detailed reply! Yes I knew the planaria wouldn't be a problem to the fish but I was wondering how they got there. Maybe it would be worth deworming them as a precaution. I've only fed lightly and removed any uneaten food. I hate to use chemicals on fish so I'd rather hold off if I can and just keep the treatment as a back up. The one I orderd is prqziquantel not the esha one. Good to know about the wording on the advert though! Learnt something new haha! Thanks

I think I will moniter for now and do a good clean. I have some aquarium salt that I use for my fancy goldfish so I am happy to try that first. Will see how they are over the weekend and keep the thread updated. Thank you for the help and advice :)

Chris

Reactions: Deadeye

Kingpinn87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2021
Buy small schooling fish like tetras or denios, they eat those worms right away. Second method, you can trap them. There are tons of vids in youtube on how to trap planaria, flatworms. Lastly you can try to pour aquarium salt at your filter. It will help eliminate larvae and small worms

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store