Worms on Bichirs?

Infblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
US
just pay close attention to those areas and watch for the first sign of spreading/getting worse. hopefully you've added the parasite clear since your first post. if so, then those worms should be gone soon, though keep the meds in for a week and then go from there.

ps. it'd be good to have some antibiotics on hand though just in case.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
FishGoneWild;1971058; said:
Mix parasite clear in hot water so that it dissolves quickly then pour your medicine water into the tank. The parasites should die off right away.
:iagree:

parasite clear works fast, and you'lll notice the worm population/infestation is drastically reduced in 24 hrs or less.

Following through with pima and melafix is a great idea to avoid infection of the wounds.

Best of luck with saving the polys Tuff, but it sounds like you're doing great already :)

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
Thanks everyone!
The big guy is looking better already, I hope that the worst is past.

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
Well the worst was not past. WTF, the one that I posted pics of originally is doing better, but one of my others kicked it today. I went out for a few hours and came home to a dead endli. Only mark on him was a small spot on his underside.
Before I left i did a 30% WC, dosed the tank with PC again and began treating with melafix. If there is anything else I should be doing please tell me, I dont want to lose another.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 011.jpg

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Sorry to hear about the loss :(

Was it's tail always like that? I agree with moon, does look like finrot.

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
ive only had these two particular fish for about two weeks. yes his tail was like that when i bought him. the owner of the store said they were brought in because they were in a tank with a puffer that was biting their fins....
I just presumed thats why his fins were torn.
compared to the other one, this ones gills/gill plate looks puffy or swollen.

if it was fin rot will the melafix treat that? I dont want to lose any others

Infblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
US
sorry for your loss :(

you're probably right in assuming the fins are torn because of the puffer. But a torn fin can turn into fin rot if infected.

i don't know if yours is infected or just torn. But if it's infected, imo it's too late for melafix (only good as prevention or general tonic). what you need is antibacterial meds or antibiotics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store