worms

jbm6900

Feeder Fish
Jun 28, 2005
Help! my piranha tank has worms??? They are white & about a quarter inch long. They appear to be described in my book as anchor worms? I havn't noticed them on my fish, but they are floating/swimming all thru my tank. the strange thing is that they are not in my feeder tank also.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Anchor worms have a paired breathing tube at one end and a little pointed lump at the other, if they are anchor worms dump your substrate until you can bleach and rinse it, then do three consecutive daily 50+% water changes while warming and salting the tank like you would for ich. If any have dug into your fish they can be manually removed with a pair of tweezers and a steady, gentle, straight out pull. I have never seen a heavy infestation like you describe, only one or two on newly acquired eels and native cats. I have seen a swarm of white worms show up out of a disturbed biofilter medium in a community tank. My pristellas ate most of them and the salt routine killed the rest.

jbm6900

Feeder Fish
Jun 28, 2005
The more I research, It appears they may be Planaria, not anchors. Is that the swarm you are referring to? What type of salt would I use in a freshwater tank? I have never done the salt routine.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Ocean salt, check out a basic aquarium guide. White worms and planaria are harmless but unappealing to look at. Water changes and filter changes and new substrate will get rid of most of them. They make great fry food and small tetras love them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store