Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
MaddMaxx;3825747; said:
I agree with both of you. If you're going to skin the stand, you could certainly ditch the green 2x4's.

But if you don't skin it, the green 2x4's would supply ample resistance to sheer forces (if screwed and glued as Pharaoh suggests).

You could apply the factor of safety directly to the gallonage right? ie 2,200 gals / 4 = 550 gals supportable by 2x4's

It'd be interesting to see what you could "get away with" using 2x3's...

1.4"*2.5" = 3.75 square inches

3.75*8 = 30 square inches

I assume that the compression strength will drop...
You could apply to to work for gallons, but you risk missing the entire number as there is additional weight associated with the tank and substrate.

The compression strength is based on the type of wood. It would not change regardless of the size of the wood. it will only change when opting for a different type of wood.

BTW. I do not build any of my stands out of treated 2x4s. I do not have any evidence that they are stronger nor weaker. As far as I am concerned, it is just additional cost.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Pharaoh;3825806; said:
You could apply to to work for gallons, but you risk missing the entire number as there is additional weight associated with the tank and substrate.....
Additional weight with the tank yes, with the substrate no, as it is just displacing water which is denser and heavier.

MaddMaxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Abu Dhabi/NJ
Pharaoh;3825806; said:
You could apply to to work for gallons, but you risk missing the entire number as there is additional weight associated with the tank and substrate. hmmm, I guess the ultimate weight would be much more difficult to calculate... How did you come up with your 48x48x48?

The compression strength is based on the type of wood. It would not change regardless of the size of the wood. it will only change when opting for a different type of wood. Duh, as I read that I realized how obvious it should have been.

BTW. I do not build any of my stands out of treated 2x4s. I do not have any evidence that they are stronger nor weaker. As far as I am concerned, it is just additional cost. By "green" I was simply refering to the color in your drawing, not pressure treated... I think thats a waste too.
Knowdafish;3825821; said:
Additional weight with the tank yes, with the substrate no, as it is just displacing water which is denser and heavier.
Are you saying water is denser and heavier? If so, wouldn't the substrate float?

Reactions: bobblehead27

MaddMaxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Abu Dhabi/NJ
For price's sake, it'd be interesting to see what you could "get away with" using 2x3's...

1.4"*2.5" = 3.75 square inches

3.75*8 = 30 square inches

30*440 psi = 13,200 lbs

13,200 / 4 (safety factor) = 3,300 lbs

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Knowdafish;3825821; said:
I think the substrate might be a negligible number, but with a quick search, water weighs ~62lbs per cubic food and sand weighs ~100lbs per cubic foot, so it is a bit heavier.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Pharaoh;3825904; said:
I think the substrate might be a negligible number, but with a quick search, water weighs ~62lbs per cubic food and sand weighs ~100lbs per cubic foot, so it is a bit heavier.
That's what I was getting at.

fox3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Long Island
Building a stand using 2 x 4's is overkill for most tanks say under 180g. I would strongly recomend it. The verticle strength is more than adequate. The horizontal deflection with longer spans on the other hand is way more than glass can flex w/ out failing. I design residential and commercial buildings for a living. Four foot is prolly a safe span for most applications using common 2 x 4's # 2 or better.

I have a 6' 210 on a AGA mission series stand and technically there is no vertical support in the middle that I would consider functional at all supporting weight other than a place to fasten the doors. Still scratching my head as to why it has not failed yet so I believe as the OP posted the plastic framed tanks have much greater tolerance for allowing open faced cabinets.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I was at one of our few LFS today and looking at tank stands for 120g range, made from 4 vertical 2x4, 2 horizontal 2x6, 1" top and bottom shelf. That's it....

realized we do over build our stands.

ttmf

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 8, 2008
Palau, Micronesia
that's how i built my stand for my 100g. i used 2x3 for the base and 2x2s for the corners just for ease of fastening,as Bderick mentioned, because i didn't want to bother notching and didn't have my kreg tool yet. the tool did come in handy for the 900g stand i built though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store