West Des Moines, Ia

Roy L.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
Norway, Scandinavia
I'm sorry to hear that. :(
But If it's any comfort Your not the only one :cry:

I had a powerbreakdown while I was away for the weekend and lost most of my fish (including 4 motoros)

So I know how You feel man.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
How big was the tank?

TicaL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2007
Tempe, AZ
How awful, I feel terrible for you and even worse for the fish.:( Hope everything stays under control and the new heaters work out well.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
bummer.................... sorry to hear..........if you need some alarm ideas let me know........john

rottbo;692587; said:
I had a major heater failure while I was at work this week I came home to an ice cold tank with about $1200 worth of dead fish.... Not the turts but still expensive fish none the less.... oh yeah I only lost 7 fish... 6 motoros and a large RTC everyone else is fine I got the heaters replaced with cheap petco ones and have ordered good ones that should be here in less than a week... BUT I AM PISSED.... it was the worst feeling ever.....

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
I learned the hard way not to put too much heater capacity in a tank. If the stat inside fails closed, the water gets too hot and kills the fish. Also heaters that are too large for a tank switch on and off more frequently, causing the stat to wear out sooner.
A low cost alarm for temperature drop consists of a 60 watt submersible in series with a 60 watt light bulb. Apply 240 Volts across the circuit and set the temp on the heater to turn off once the water temp has reached the lowest you feel is safe for your tank. If the temp gets too low the heater will come on and the light bulb will illuminate indicating a low temperature alarm.
It is always safer to use multiple heaters to raise water temp. If you requie a 1000W of heat, use two 500W heaters. That way if one fails closed, there is less chance of overheating your tank.
From a safety standpoint, consider ground fault protection or using an ungrounded 2 wire system fed from an isolation transformer, to eliminate the electrical shock hazard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store