Would a 55 or 65 be better for a polleni?

cideon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
west texas
I love the look of the small spot ones and would love to have one in my bedroom. I already own both these tanks so I'm just wondering if the length of 55 is best, or the height and width of the 65? Then I can better plan what's going in the other tank since I'm not taking any chances on tank mates, heh.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I think if you acquire your Paratilapia young, either tank will work for a while (maybe a couple years), and especially if it is the only fish in the tank.
I have a 5" sp andapa alone in a 55 gal and it is doing well, it has a very doglike personality. But it killed its 5 brothers and sisters almost overnight in the 55 by the time it was 3".

They do get quite large though, I just moved a pair of P small spot to a 500 gal pool to facilitate spawning, they had been in a 125 gal, but I found it too small to keep them comfortable as a pair. Male is about 10" in length and almost 3" in girth.

Even in the 500 gal pool, the male killed a rival to the pair.

cideon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
west texas
Thanks for the reply and your awesome pics! I think I will use the 55 for a while then, as it sounds I don't have to rush to get a 75 or a 90 immediately. Can't wait to move my 55 to my house and start setting it up! Thanks again :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
A bigger tank is obviously preferred, but I did have a Polleni grow out to the 8-9 inch range in a 55, and he lived peacefully with a female Jack Dempsey and then a Geophagus Bahia Red for a brief time. Sometimes it depends on the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store