Would this pond idea work?

thomas79

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2010
San Jose
Hi guys,

I am thinking of building a small 250 to 350 gal pond my backyard on a cement slab that I already have. I thinking of building it with cinder blocks (16" long X 8" high and 6" thick). I'm thinking of building it 4 blocks x 4 blocks and 2 or 3 blocks high. I was thinking of just glueing the blocks together with those Loctite tubes but I[m not planning to glue the bottom block to the cement slab, just glueing all the blocks together. I"m not thinking of putting and rebar or filling the blocks with cement. Do you think this will hold up?

Let me know what you think,

Thanks,

Thomas

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Hi guys,

I am thinking of building a small 250 to 350 gal pond my backyard on a cement slab that I already have. I thinking of building it with cinder blocks (16" long X 8" high and 6" thick). I'm thinking of building it 4 blocks x 4 blocks and 2 or 3 blocks high. I was thinking of just glueing the blocks together with those Loctite tubes but I[m not planning to glue the bottom block to the cement slab, just glueing all the blocks together. I"m not thinking of putting and rebar or filling the blocks with cement. Do you think this will hold up?

Let me know what you think,

Thanks,

Thomas
I'm not sure what the loctite tubes you're talking about are. But...Why not use mortar? Sticking blocks bricks and blocks together is literally its whole reason for existing. And it's probably cheaper.

You'll still need to seal it with pond paint. And you're planning to not seal the bottom? That...Will leak.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
If you are using a liner then yes it will work fine. If like TwoHedWlf TwoHedWlf says then I agree it will leak. That loktite stuff is pretty durable and easy to use.

thomas79

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2010
San Jose
Oh yes, I'm planning to use pond liner and then folding into over the top of the cinder block, and after that, I would glue the cinder block cap over it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store