Would yall use any of this wood in your African cichlid tank (pics)

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I had picked up the wood a while ago when I was thinking about getting SA/CA cichlids. Now I am going to set my new tank up with Africans and im not sure if I still want wood in there along with some large rocks. I am thinking an all male hap/pecock setup with just some large and small kinda smooth rocks randomly placed....not really piles and stacks.

This tank they are in now is my old custom 280 (6x3x2tall) I never got to set up. Now I have a 240 long 8x2x2tall. So what would yall do?

That middle one is pretty wide too....on the left side of it there a Y that you cant really tell in the head on pic. I dont know if I could get it in the 240 with the bracing it has. If it did fit it would be rather close to the front and back glass I think. I'll be able to measure it this weekend.

new 240 long....

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
well i know alot of ppl say dont use driftwood for africans, but i would use that huge center piece, and river boulders to its left and right. then make sure you use crushed coral in your sump or in pantyhose bags-just watch your ph level-

its really beautiful wood, and i think it looks great.

silverdragon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
DOWN UNDER!
www.myspace.com
There gorgeous pieces of drift wood.. id at least use the middle one too.. and the tanks look good too..

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Only problem with the middle one is its so big I dont know if I could snake it through the top bracing on the 240. I will bring it home this weekend...its in storage 2 hrs away.

So does the driftwood actively lower the PH and hardness of the water?

spxsk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
Dallas, TX
Yeah, those are really nice pieces. If you are going to use a canapy on that tank, sometimes it is cool to put the piece in upside down to appear like roots dangling down, if you cannot snake it into the tank right side up.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I just saw a pic like that yesterday on here I think. I guess my only hold back is they dont have roots and wood where the fish come from right. I mean im not doing a total just like the lake rendering but I just always see africans with rock work not wood.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Frostyone;2309703; said:
Nope you shouldn't use them for your African tank...........................you should box it up and send it to me for my 300 gallon SA/CA tank :D

hahaha your right...they would look better with a SA/CA mix but if I dont use them in this tank i'll have another tank one day with big tank busters. Good try tho lol. I will bring them back home this weekend from where there stored. I have had them for a few years now and they have never been wet.

Do they look like the kind of wood that is going to turn the water brown?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store