Would you buy this product?

Would you buy it?

• Absolutely! That is the best deal ever!

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Yes!

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Maybe if it was cheaper

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Way to expensive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Absolutely not, why use digital when you can use chemical/strips?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Hi! First off sorry if this is in the wrong section! I am just doing a hypothetical thread. If I (or someone else) were to make a product that is a electronic water tester (kind of like a digital thermometer, exept it shows you ammonia, ph, nitrite, nitrate, ect.) would you buy it and use it? Let’s assume it was priced at 100$, would you buy it?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I voted yes, absolutely...but I would need to see some reviews and tests to prove that it worked, because when something sounds too good to be true...

Reactions: Matteus

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
I voted yes, absolutely...but I would need to see some reviews and tests to prove that it worked, because when something sounds too good to be true...
That is true!

kingthedog

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2019
You seem to be talking about something like a spectrophotometer. They're pretty commonly used in wastewater analysis and treatment. Expensive pieces of equipment though. If you could make a reliable and accurate one for $100 im pretty sure youd flip the market on its head because a good spectrophotometer is usually $5k+.
5k tho

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
In this day and age you'd expect that a device like you mention, to measure all aquarium parameters, should be readily available to serious hobbyists already. It'd have to be some serious piece of fancy kit though that's for sure and i'm betting it would be reflected in the price. I think your hypothetical starting price of $100 might just buy a couple of screws and maybe a washer for it!!!

Incidently, and duanes duanes will help us out here, I believe such instruments do exist though only on an industrial scale, for water treatment facilities and such.

But to answer your question, would I buy it? Hell yeah.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
These devices already exist, and have existed for years, in various sizes, combinations of anylites, expense, and complexity.
HACH, and many companies offer them. Check a Fisher Scientific catalog.
I used to use one in a chem lab that had the capacity to analyze and measure hundreds of chemicals, although each needed its own reagents to be mixed to ID and quantify results. I used the one below hidden in the back for testing ammonia, the actual unit cost more than my truck.

Some were road worthy and would analyze a few components with only slight mixing, very quickly.
Like this decades old chlorine monitor.

The possibility of using new technology, and creating one inexpensive enough would surely be quickly used everyone.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Man, make it $1,000 and able to accurately test the water within 5 minutes of being put it in the tank and I’ll get it. I don’t like the time that I have to waste in order to test for each part so this is definitely worth it.

I’ll be moving it back and forth between tanks daily and not worrying about a thing. If it can measure it more accurately than the liquid test we use now then that would be awesome.

• Haha

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Youve got hanna checker, apex and ghl profilux with expansions that you can check all this

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store