Would you say my oscar is showing signs of popeye?

HenryC

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2020
Baja California, Mexico
www.flickr.com
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
20-40
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Guys, someone in reddit has told me my oscar is starting to show signs of popeye due to poor water quality. my ammonia is 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates are between 20-40ppm. Today is water change day (weekly) and I do 50%, so that would bring it down to 20ppm. Apparently this is bad for oscar right? I've read you have to have below 20 with them. I had no idea! I thought they would be fine if nitrates came to 40ppm before a water change, like in my community tank. Apparently didn't do enough research?

What do you guys think, is this popeye? If so, should I treat with any med/salt, or just pure water changes? I am upping the water changes to twice 50% a week. Is it too late to cure him? Damn I'm scared now.

Here are the pics:

P1120715-Edit.jpg

P1120721-Edit.jpg

P1120844-Edit.jpg

P1120863-Edit.jpg

P1120937-Edit.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The eye itself looks a bit bigger but not diseased. Could be just a big eye from being cb. There are some pits on the face but I’d watch. I’d watch and keep the nitrates as low as possible. Less than 20ppm especially if it could be potentially sick. If ur nitrates are 40ppm or less then it’s a reasonable limit. Most fish don’t have any nitrates, nitrites or ammonia when caught from rivers. Long term exposure to high nitrates can be an issue but another story.

By the way....great pics!

Reactions: HenryC and tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree the eyes look clear and not diseased at the moment, the tiny pits are often a sign that nitrate is too high and could be a precursor to chronic HLLE.
If it were me, I'd up my water change volume and frequency to keep nitrate under 20ppm, as a precaution.

Reactions: HenryC and tlindsey

HenryC

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2020
Baja California, Mexico
www.flickr.com
The eye itself looks a bit bigger but not diseased. Could be just a big eye from being cb. There are some pits on the face but I’d watch. I’d watch and keep the nitrates as low as possible. Less than 20ppm especially if it could be potentially sick. If ur nitrates are 40ppm or less then it’s a reasonable limit. Most fish don’t have any nitrates, nitrites or ammonia when caught from rivers. Long term exposure to high nitrates can be an issue but another story.

By the way....great pics!
Thanks a lot! I thought the tiny pits were the sensory things all fish hav, no? I'll keep a close eye on him and do twice water changes per week now, instead of 1.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store