WTB | Large Royal Pleco 10” Plus | $100 | Ventura CA | Pickup

ThatPizzaGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Ventura CA
In case anyone is looking for a large Royal, here is the one at Rainbow Aquarium going for $150. I’ve just had such bad luck with their fish and did see a few sick fish when I was there so I passed him up and am hopefully picking up a big bigger of a Royal on Tuesday.

0AC5F00E-8825-490B-A37B-5E6BF8306687.jpeg D3DA9D52-6F43-4CF0-AA23-25DAF2DBC357.jpeg

rocco1100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2011
VanStar in San Gabriel has 2 royals probably about 24 inch in size. The head is the size of a football

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Damn thats a hard one for me. Last time I went to Rainbow i bought a few pleco's and lost them. My whole tank almost crashed and suddenly ick showed up for the first time in years. Ive bought two royals there and a few other fish but only have a Spotted Bushynose Pleco that have made it. Still ill probably stop by again. Thanks for that! Hoping to head up Friday and thats not far from Aquarium City so ill go by!
I've only bought fish at Rainbow once a few month ago but had the same experience with Ick showing up in my tank within a week.

ThatPizzaGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Ventura CA
I've only bought fish at Rainbow once a few month ago but had the same experience with Ick showing up in my tank within a week.
That’s my worry going there. Every time I’ve bought fish I’ve had a tank crash. Yet I’ve heard others say different. I’ve lost two royals from there and a few other Plecos, but currently have the one pleco that’s ever survived in my tank. He’s a Spotted bushynose and is a great pleco. With the fish I have right now though I’m just not going to take the risk, they were way too expensive and mean too much to me.

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
These were sent to me by a friend on here who went to Vanstar.
IMG952019010695142649.jpg IMG952019010695142804.jpg

As for Rainbow, again I've never had an issue buying pleco there. I have from some other local places. The only bad fish I bought from them just wasn't in great condition to begin with. They had another one that they offered to replace it with but when I got there it had died too - bad batch. They gave me my money back with no hassle at all. I understand being hesitant to pull the trigger someplace where you've gotten bad fish before but from my experience, their fish are fine. Just look closely to see if you can spot any issues up front.

When you say it wiped out your tank or caused it, are you putting the water from the store in your tank?

I've bought tons of plecos over the last few years. Some great ones, some bad ones and some great ones that I managed to kill. We hall have shops we like or dislike. While I'm not trying to push Rainbow, my experiences with them have always been positive in the past and on the rare occasions issues popped up, they made things right where many others would not have.

ThatPizzaGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Ventura CA
These were sent to me by a friend on here who went to Vanstar.
View attachment 1360429 View attachment 1360430

As for Rainbow, again I've never had an issue buying pleco there. I have from some other local places. The only bad fish I bought from them just wasn't in great condition to begin with. They had another one that they offered to replace it with but when I got there it had died too - bad batch. They gave me my money back with no hassle at all. I understand being hesitant to pull the trigger someplace where you've gotten bad fish before but from my experience, their fish are fine. Just look closely to see if you can spot any issues up front.

When you say it wiped out your tank or caused it, are you putting the water from the store in your tank?

I've bought tons of plecos over the last few years. Some great ones, some bad ones and some great ones that I managed to kill. We hall have shops we like or dislike. While I'm not trying to push Rainbow, my experiences with them have always been positive in the past and on the rare occasions issues popped up, they made things right where many others would not have.
Damn those are absolute beasts! Beautiful fish I need to try and get out there! Thank you for that!

Last time I went to Rainbow I bought a Royal, Green Phantom and a Spotted Bushynose Pleco. My tank had been running for at least two years prior to this with no disease at all. I had a Royal already who was little in there and I had him for a couple years already. Right after the new Plecos went in, I noticed sunken bellies on them all. Then all my fish caught ick very bad, even my female Jaguar Cichlid I had. I ended up losing the Royal and phantom, and the smaller Royal I had. My serverum died too and all of that caused my tank to crash and cycle again. It just was a bummer to have happen. I had bought one large Royal there prior to this, and found him dead within a week of buying him. Again sunken belly on him and all other fish were fine that time, including my wild caught Royal which was one of the first Plecos I ever spent big money on. Their prices are great which is why I tried again, but after a $200 loss of fish, I decided I’m not buying again there. Lately the water just looks cloudy and gross, and ick seems to be in most tanks. I don’t want to bash them, but I’ve heard more bad than good sadly. I’ve worked at stores with problems like this and found that many owners have bad sources for certain fish. I’m glad to hear that hasn’t happened to you, it just scares me. I love to go and buy food when I need to support them, but the Massivore pellets went up $10 so I’ll start buying the big bags online now. Sorry to go on for so long, I just want to make sure nobody thinks I’m bashing for no reason! Not trying to bash at all, just give reasons for my disliking!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store