Xanthos Chubby Pleco questions

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
I've researched about these beauties but still a mystery to me. Hopefully, someone can answer a few questions for me:

1. Is the percentage of yellow to black change with age and/or size? Or is it determined by each individual fish?

2. Better to spend $450 on a large yellow or purchase two smaller which are yellow/black? Basically, will growing out two smaller ones eventually turn all yellow?

3. What are the growth rates on these?

Thx, especially if you have read this far.

Reactions: amazontank

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
They can change whenever they want. There's no guarantee that that large yellow xanto will stay yellow, just like there is no guarantee that those 2 smaller ones will turn all yellow. I had one turn yellow overnight, only to revert back to dark a few days later when I had to switch tanks.

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
They can change whenever they want. There's no guarantee that that large yellow xanto will stay yellow, just like there is no guarantee that those 2 smaller ones will turn all yellow. I had one turn yellow overnight, only to revert back to dark a few days later when I had to switch tanks.
Thx for your response.

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
I've not owned one but as I understand, they're slow growers. I'm also told that if they go gold then black to black, they tend to stay black. Others with firsthand experience please correct me if I'm mistaken. That's why I've never pulled the trigger on one.

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
My understanding is they can change whenever they want. I am currently raising one i got as a 2" grey specimen for around $40. Hopefully it changes, but if not, oh well.
You could buy a 5" yellow one for $300 but if it changes to black you're gonna regret it.

Copp81

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2011
Kansas
www.youtube.com
I bought a all yellow one and it stayed yellow for a few months then started to turn black and yellow over the next few months. I moved it to a new tank now it is turning back to yellow. Was 3.5 inchs when I got it and now it is about 5

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
There is also an albino variety if I'm not mistaken.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store