xenacanth9's Fish of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Hello, and welcome to my thread, where each day, I will post a profile on a different rare/underappreciated freshwater fish, anywhere from nano to monster, as well as a website where you can buy them, when available, every day. I can't make any promises, but I plan on updating this thread once daily. I may forget a day or two, but for the most part I want to remain consistent from now and into the foreseeable future. Without further ado, let's get started.

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
DAY 1
1636057679517.png
Everglades Pygmy Sunfish
Elassoma evergladei

Size: 1.5"
pH: 6.0-8.0
Tank size: 5G/1 small group
Country of origin: United States
Diet: Live and frozen foods
Temperament: Occasionally territorial
Temperature: 50-86° F

Description

Elassoma evergladei is among the smallest sunfish species in the world. These somewhat rare fish, though largely underappreciated, make for very interesting centerpiece fish with unique patterning, especially in males. These fish, like many other sunfish, are native primarily to the Southeastern parts of the United States. They make an interesting "nano" alternative to their much larger and more aggressive relatives.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Following!
Nice write up already! The sunfish is something I’ve had my eye on for a while!
+1. Esp. for having my eye on the sunfish, but it would probably become a rather expensive lunch in my tanks ?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Also, since the edit function timed out, I can't help but say that there are an awful lot of fish I can't wait to see the profiles of! What they are should be obvious enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store