Xiloaensis from Rapps

danny2875

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2008
Astoria, NY
Anubisscott;4038189; said:
Gourgous, I think the next species I get will either be Chancho or these. Very colorful:popcorn:

Go with the chancho. I ordered a trio from Rapps. I think he only has a 9in female left.

toomanyfishes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2006
Rochester, NY
Jason_S;4043436; said:
awesome male :) I got xilo's from Jeff most likely from the same batch yours came from. got mine in a group order in Feb of '09. I've posted pics a few times but need to get some updated ones as well as a new video for Anubisscott (that's right, I didn't forget about you :) lol)

So yours haven't spawned yet either? That makes me feel better. I was beginning to wonder about mine. I'd always thought that RD -types would spawn before now...mine have showed some pairing motions but no eggs or anything yet. :)
They have spawned...currently growing out the juvies from 2 different females....they are about 3" now....How about your pair any luck yet?

BlueKiller82;4864591; said:
Very Nice Fish, I want some!!! Any updates?
Your welcome to have some of the babies if you like they ar about 3" now....let me know if interested I can ship you some.

NightStorm;4864799; said:
VERY nice.
Thank you

Diskboy12;4865086; said:
Gorgeous!
Thank you
Mad About Cichlids;4865178; said:
Awesome specimen, gotta love the colors and patterns in fins.
Thanks the male is very cool and it is fun to watch his nuchal hump grow just before spawning....I also have a pair of "red isletas" with a male who grows a ginormous nuchal hump....he's very cool

mlancaster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Morro Bay, CA
Hi toomanyfishes,

What would you say the temperaments of your Xiloaensis are compared to labiatus/citrinellus? M vs F temperament? Are they glass bangers?

Yours has great coloration; specifically, amazing fins. Great fish, thank you for sharing.

Thanks,
Matt

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
toomanyfishes;4865788; said:
They have spawned...currently growing out the juvies from 2 different females....they are about 3" now....How about your pair any luck yet?
Sadly no...he still completely ignores the 2 females in the tank. He has been spending a lot of time with my....male synspilum. :screwy: lol

Congrats on your spawns. :)

toomanyfishes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2006
Rochester, NY
mlancaster;4952171; said:
Hi toomanyfishes,

What would you say the temperaments of your Xiloaensis are compared to labiatus/citrinellus? M vs F temperament? Are they glass bangers?

Yours has great coloration; specifically, amazing fins. Great fish, thank you for sharing.

Thanks,
Matt
The temperaments I have experienced may be out of the norm for these fish. I started out with four juveniles, one died at about the size of 5 -6 inches can't remember why. Ended up with the male pictured and two females, male paired off with one of the females and spawned a couple times. she eventually tired of his advances and I found her beat up pretty good one day and moved her away to recover. She was in bad shape, surprised she has survived and she still has scars on her flanks from the abuse. At this point I put him in with the other female and they spawned a few times. I moved her out before she could get beat down. A few months later I thought I would reunite the couples and try to get another spawn. The first female began to take a beating and before he could do to much damage a removed her. A few weeks later I tried with female #2, she was chased into an upper corner of the tank. A while later, several hours or the next morning, much to my surprise I found the male floating dead and the female proudly swimming and pushing his dead bodyaway if it floated near by. He was at least 2" larger than her and she has also put a beating on a much larger male Mayan (false red terror). With this in mind I would have to say the temperament of these guys is up for interpretation. I am seriously dissapointed in losing that gorgeous male. Al I can do now is grow out the approximatley 20 offspring I have and pray that one little guy turns out as beautiful as his dad. Good luck with yours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store