xingu I health issues

j.r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
norway
hi, my xingu I have what appears to be some wounds around his head.. almost looks as if hes been fighting and has some scrapes on top and around his head.. i havent been able to take any pics yet as he is pretty shy and hiding more than usuall now.. does anyone have some idea what this could be?? i also have 4 bellycrawlers in the same tank and theyr all fine.. my only idea so far have been to add a little bit of salt, i do not want to medicate unless i absolutley have to.. it does not look like fungus, i had a small outbraek of fungus when i bought him but thats over 6 months ago now.. ill try to get som pics later today and i was hoping someone might knew what this is and had some ideas on what i can do.. i really do not want to flush this marvelous fish i really really like him :)

High City Rida

C.R.E.A.M.
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
In the air and I ain't comin down!
Could be HITH. I need to see a picture to confirm it. Do you have a hosptial tank? If not your going to need one.

j.r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
norway
ugh... i can set up a hospital tank, yes.. i assume this HITH is verry contagious?? and how do you medicate it?? i was affraid of something like this, and i will remove him at once if this is something my other fish in the tank can catch.. i will post some pics a bit later, have 2 put some kids in bed first :) and what causes this?? it has been some stress on the fish lately i have moved them 2-3 times the last month and i kow this isnt ideal but had to re-arrange my aquarium-room..

High City Rida

C.R.E.A.M.
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
In the air and I ain't comin down!
I wouldn't say contagious. But your other fish can be affected by it.The cause of it is bad water quality and not enough nutrient's in their diet. I would put some salt in and do 20% W/C for at least half a month and bump up the heat a little. But if it's a bad case then your going to want to dose with some Cure for HITH. What are you feeding and what is your W/C schedule?

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
HITH = hole in the head

I'm pretty sure its related to water quality; oscars seem to get it a lot. Do more water changes.

j.r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
norway
thanks alot guys, yes its most probably hith.. it is only the xingu I that has it so far, none of my 4 bellycrawlers has any neither the 2 oscars that also live there.. i have done a wc now and will continue doing this every other day or so (and added some salt)((+turned the temperature up a few degrees)). But i do not think its water quality, this seems good and i have done some tests that r ok.. probably due to poor feeding, im having trouble getting my pikes to take pellet food.. they eat shrimp and some mosquito-larva(only the red one and not much of it either)((and some occational earthworms)), i am looking for a good sinking pellet-food for carnivorus fish.. they do not eat from the top of the water, only the xingu does this once in a while, but he doesnt seem to care much for this type of food. i have been thinking about putting in som kardinal\neon tetras and guppys for them to nibble on for som change to the dull food.. this is probably why hes got this hith, this and stress.. i had to move them 2-3 times this month and that cant be good i know, so i think its due to stress and bad feeding.. im really glad for all tips and some advice to a good diet for the fish, and tips on where i can buy a good pellet-food for my pikes.. thanks alot for the help so far !! i checked out your thred pikefanatic and its most likely the same that mine has, not as much as yours but verry similiar.. thanks alot, nice xingus u had 2 :) and how are they doing? and what do to treat this??

j.r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
norway
2 day my big xinguI died aftes suffering first hith then ich :irked:.. the ich was so bad he had it all over, eyes and every thing never seen anyone get it as bad as he.. this is so sad, my favorite pike and biggest pike a sadsad day indeed :( there are still 2 oscars and 4 bellycrawlers in the tank, 2 of the bellycrawlers has ich but none of the o's. i have medicated with the stuff that turns my water blue\greenish i do not remember the name and turned the temperature a bit up.. this has lasted for about a week now and it looks like its getting better, im really hoping on the "right path" here and that i now will be done with this crap.. i have had the ich before but never this bad and never had fish die of it before so i hope this was the first and last fish.. i didnt take a pic of him when i took him out and i really regret that, should have done that but heres a pic of him when he was all well.. rip little fish-buddy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store