Xystichromis Kyoga Flamebacks

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Mine main colony is doing good so far in the 60 gallon. As for the fry, they are excellent. They are growing nicely in the 40 gallon and are more pigs than ever. They are definitely putting on some size nearing the one inch mark. I can't wait to see them get hints of their colors. Any recent updates of your fish? How big are your kyoga fry?

LadyBarbara001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Quick update on mine...my adult group isn't going to do anything for me. I am rehoming them with someone who has more of the same size I do, and hopefully they will mix and match, and breed for him.

My juvenile group is 2m/2f. The dominant male has colored up fairly well, and is showing signs of wanting to breed.

mahemaheman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
spokane
LadyBarbara001;2525365; said:
Quick update on mine...my adult group isn't going to do anything for me. I am rehoming them with someone who has more of the same size I do, and hopefully they will mix and match, and breed for him.

My juvenile group is 2m/2f. The dominant male has colored up fairly well, and is showing signs of wanting to breed.

glad to hear ones finally coloring for ya

mahemaheman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
spokane
tydus;2525063; said:
Mine main colony is doing good so far in the 60 gallon. As for the fry, they are excellent. They are growing nicely in the 40 gallon and are more pigs than ever. They are definitely putting on some size nearing the one inch mark. I can't wait to see them get hints of their colors. Any recent updates of your fish? How big are your kyoga fry?

oh mine are doing awesome, the #s are on your profile comments

Jolkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Latvia
Hi everyone! I have been reading this thread for a while and I'm to a point where I really want to keep these fishes. What kind of tank would be OK for group of 4? Also the most important question - is there way to get these fishes delivered to Europe?:confused:

LadyBarbara001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I have no idea how to get them to Europe. I've been researching how to get European strains here, and it seems to be rather complicated. As for tank size, I probably wouldn't go much lower than 50 gallons, or a 40 breeder.

I have finally discovered why my juvenile group took so long to color. I believe I have 4 males! I know at least 3 of them are males, but I'm having a hard time getting a close look at the last one. Now I have to find some females, and I have a line on some in the near future.

mahemaheman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
spokane
Jolkins;2583740; said:
Hi everyone! I have been reading this thread for a while and I'm to a point where I really want to keep these fishes. What kind of tank would be OK for group of 4? Also the most important question - is there way to get these fishes delivered to Europe?:confused:
i keep my adult colony's in a 55, dont know if you can have shipped to Europe

KRIS N FISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
OHIO
Hey guys...been reading this thread and had a question. My LFS is selling these fish and have it labeled Kyoga Flameback. Color looks about the same but I wasnt sure if I had the right one. But I had a question concerning their hardiness. I have a tank I recently just started up and wanted to get these guys before they sell out b/c I cant put them on hold and I didn't wanna pass up the opportunity. LFS only had a couple females and about 15 males it seems like. I was just gonna start out with a male and 2 females. I know about the cycle and all that...and it's pretty safe when adding just a couple fish and not overloading it, but wanted to know more of anyone's opinion that has more experience with them. Please respond soon as I don't wanna go up there and they are gone...feelin ancy and wanna nab em asap...Thanks.

Bre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Denver, CO
Lake Victoria fish are pretty hardy...I would think if you use prime water conditioner (which detoxifies ammonia and neutralizes nitrites) you should be ok...Of course ideally the tank would be cycled first but as I said if you use prime and do water changes it should be ok...I have these fish as well and they are very hard to find, so I understand wanting to jump on them. Hopefully, someone else comes along with their opinion.

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Take some pics for us so that we can give you a positive ID. Wouldn't want them to turn put being something else. Anyways, good luck, hope they are the real deal. :popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store