Yellow bullhead at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Got this amputee from Jeff Rapps as a freebie in Jan 2019 at roughly 2"-3". It seems to have reached 6"-8" today. The right pectoral fin has been missing almost completely apart from a small knob since at Jeff's (presumably removed by its kin in Jeff's tank but we can't be sure) and has never grown back at our place. An easy to feed and to comm fish so far.

Reactions: joel and Iamfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Some decent footage and in-water close-ups of the bullhead. It turned out not the best tank mate and would bite other catfish - woodcat and dourada for instance, so had to be rehomed away from those and others. Seems a moody fish with periods of violent, crabby behavior.

Reactions: 1 2many and Iamfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Update in over 1.5 years. The yellow bullhead has been well in a different tank with different tank mates. It is dominated by the snail bullhead tank mate but not proactively, only when it runs into the snail, the yellow runs away usually. It feeds too well as well, so very chubby:

Reactions: blackbullhead

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Not the bullhead, but what species is that unusually patterned pictus catfish in the first video's thumbnail?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nominally, it is a Pimelodus blochii (I bought it as the rarest and coveted Pimelodus maculatus baby, which it is not) but its pattern is indeed different from the common. I've never dug deep to find out if it can be another related species of Pimelodus. As evidenced by the black spot fore of the dorsal fin, it belongs to the blochii-group of species within the genus, even if it is not exactly the blochii, which appears to be somewhat variable... but that could be the taxonomy lacking, I don't know...

More in our blochii thread.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yellow bullhead is dominated by the snail bullhead. They figure this out periodically and it always ends with the yellow running away:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I was unfair to tilapia. It was likely merely coincidental that after the addition of the tilapia, the damage started to appear on the snail bullhead. That was actually coming from a yellow bullhead, who used to be beta and the snail alpha but it was changing apparently (in retrospect) right when tilapia was introduced.

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store