Yellow Firemouth (thorichthys pasionis?)

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
I picked up some firemouths at a lfs last weekend that were labeled "Yellow Firemouths." They're great looking fish but I'm trying to figure out what they're actual name is. I think it is thorichthys pasionis from what I've found on the web. Anyone already keeping some? Any thoughts to share?

Fish_Man_Dan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2010
fort lauderdale, FL
pictures necessary

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
thorichthys pasionis is a stunning fish. They look just like meeki(firemouths) but with a bright yellow throat. They usually grow larger than meeki, about 7" and are less aggressive. They are pretty slow growers tho. If you truly do have this species than I would definatly hold on to it. But the best way to keep thorichthys is in a large group in a large tank. I have 6 meeki in my 125 gallon tank and they are easily some of the most entertaining cichlids out there. Their beautiful throat display coupled with their milder temperment makes them ideal for a large breeding colony/community tank. Do you have any pics?

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Never heard of yellow firemouths. Maybe it is another on of those hybrid things.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I have heard this before and think its maybe t. passionis. There is a firemouth varriation that is more orange then red and it could be that too. A pic would confirm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store