Yellow Lab Holding...are eggs fertilized?

jhutch

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
New York
aquaticmadness.com
I also have some around the 5" mark. My Albino yellow lab male was closer to 6 inches when he died. They will eat their fry if in a community tank but normally won't eat them when they are in a 10 gallon tank by themselves.

roombo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
Aberdeen NJ USA
I have to say, i was leary about having fry in my tank. Iv'e been in and out of the hobby for 20 years, never having cichlids. I thought i would feel bad about the fry beaing eaten, especialy since i get my kids involved in the tank. To my amazment the fry are doing great left alone, every day comming further out to explore. the other fish are starting to ingnor them. why pull them?

fishoverlivingspace

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Madison, WI
I think that in general, the only reason parents eat their own fry is if they are fairly confident that if they don't eat them, someone else will, so they might as well retain the nourishment. In a fry tank, usually females are great parents, and at times, males as well. I would wait beyond 2 weeks to strip, probably 3-3 1/2. Don't try too hard to get her out of your 125. If you have to chase her for more than a minute or so, give up and try again. Stressing her out will cause her to spit prematurely, or eat the eggs, and even if it doesn't its still putting unnecessary stress on an already stressed mother. Be cautious, and if you can't get her out of the tank, its not the end of the world.

BigPleco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2005
Markesan, WI
I've got wigglers!!!! Updated pics this weekend! Thanks for the info everyone!

Chris

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
congradulations... looking forward to pics

BigPleco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2005
Markesan, WI
Got 28 juvies that are about 1/2" total length now.....46 more wigglers......AND another female holding in her own 10 gal!!! I wonder how many I could put in my 125??? We're talking about 100 juvie Yellow Labs!!!!!!!!!! I will get pics up soon.

Chris

BigPleco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2005
Markesan, WI
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

29 Juvies in a Schoeps Sherbet container, 46 wigglers in the front container (all from 4" mama :WHOA:), and 3" mama in the 10 gal...going to be stripped tomorrow or Weds.

Anyone want some Labs??? PM if you do!

Chris

PB231103.JPG

PB231104.JPG

PB231105.JPG

PB231106.JPG

PB231109.JPG

JONP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2007
texas
Good Luck...I have had several fry delivered right in my master tank and I've also had several fry delivered in my 20 gallon as a safety zone. I have also washed the newly hatched fry out of her mouth in a bucket and kept the fry alone.

There really is no way to be sure that the babies won't be eaten unless they are alone. Even 2 old fry will brand new fry so that is always risky.

I personally like to raise the fry alone I get a kick out of raising them to adulthood and then taking them back to the LFS for trade in value or store credit.

Labs also are a type of mbuna that isn't as prone to "bloat," as others in their family. To get them up in the 5 inch range I have always fed them a steady mix of blood worms, brine shrimp, shrimp pellets, spirula flake foods and a staple of Daihachi COLOR FX. Probably didn't spell that correctly but it is easily available.

Good luck and nice job...if you have a minute my most recent post is called electric blue and yellow lab update. All my babies are on there so check it out.

Thanks,
JP

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
nevermind i posted to eagerly didnt see the pics. congrats on the fry, feed them a few times a day and they will be great :)

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
fishoverlivingspace;2369905; said:
I think that in general, the only reason parents eat their own fry is if they are fairly confident that if they don't eat them, someone else will, so they might as well retain the nourishment. In a fry tank, usually females are great parents, and at times, males as well. I would wait beyond 2 weeks to strip, probably 3-3 1/2. Don't try too hard to get her out of your 125. If you have to chase her for more than a minute or so, give up and try again. Stressing her out will cause her to spit prematurely, or eat the eggs, and even if it doesn't its still putting unnecessary stress on an already stressed mother. Be cautious, and if you can't get her out of the tank, its not the end of the world.
i agree........:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store