Yellow perch planted tank newcomer

just3542

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
North Haledon, New Jersey
I would suggest about 25%. I will help keep you water more clean and healthy looking than 10%.

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
i have a good update. i bought a bunch of meal worms and tried a few in the tank but they would eat them whole so i cut them and half and they have been eating them like crazy, they now will even eat full meal worms and freeze dried shrimp. i have yet to get them going to the surface for food but aslong as they are eating im happy.

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
just3542;4795008;4795008 said:
I would suggest about 25%. I will help keep you water more clean and healthy looking than 10%.
I agree.....and make sure you quarantine the feeders so your Perch dont get any parasites.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
yep i've got them in a 10 gallon tank down stairs. i made sure about that because two years ago, my dad accidently killed his 15 year old foot long koi by adding two new fish to the tank without using any ick gone or anything. not something i'd ever want to happen to me.

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
Owain4;4796595;4796595 said:
yep i've got them in a 10 gallon tank down stairs. i made sure about that because two years ago, my dad accidently killed his 15 year old foot long koi by adding two new fish to the tank without using any ick gone or anything. not something i'd ever want to happen to me.
Very smart, I hope your perch live to a ripe old age.

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
update: after a few days of trying different foods my perch are now eating cut up meal worms, freeze dried shrimp, and also maggots, aswelll as the occasional minnow. I'm hoping to get them hooked on pellets but they seem very very uninterested not even trying to nibble at them.

bhappy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2010
california
You might want to look into fresh water clams? They do a great job filtering water plus its natural. I grew up on lake Erie and caught thousands of Perch, some up to 14"s you may need a bigger tank in the future? Most people do 25 to 30 percent water changes? some 50%

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
interesting idea but i'd be worried about one grabbing a fish haha. im deffinatly going to upgrade in the future, the lake i caught them from has huge perch so im hoping these guys will get big. i'll try different %'s, i did 15% on sunday and the tank seems okay, maybe once they get fully used to the tank ill do 25%-30%

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store