Yellow Tail Acei

MCL169

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
NY
With fewer numbers and pairs aggression will be a major issue. The fish you have are normally stocked in higher numbers and with 1 male to numerous females of each species. Multiple males don't work except with more peaceful species, like labs, or in large tanks. The over stocking helps fish being picked on get lost in the crowd when it's being chased. There are some that are too mean for smaller tanks, like your kenyi, others are ps. Crabro(bumblebees) and melanochromis. There are plenty that work in a 55, they just aren't usually available in most stores.

The pool filter sand RD suggested is a good option, I have it in 3 of my tanks. I think I pay about $8 for 50lbs. If you decide to keep what you have, I would fill the tank with as many rocks as possible to create holes for fish to hide in.
Thanks alot. All the feedback makes sense and helps moving forward. Never thought about the pleco as waste. Someone gave it to me because it out grew their tank. I'll try to maintain the fish I have and build on it. I'll keep an eye on the Kenyi, look to relocate the pleco and maybe if I run into more elecric labs get some. Any other olorful mate options just out of curiosity? I'm still concerned about the maintenance of sans but not taking it off the table. I was thinking small white gravel to split the middle.

1505689719612693269592.jpg

MCL169

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
NY
Thanks alot. All the feedback makes sense and helps moving forward. Never thought about the pleco as waste. Someone gave it to me because it out grew their tank. I'll try to maintain the fish I have and build on it. I'll keep an eye on the Kenyi, look to relocate the pleco and maybe if I run into more elecric labs get some. Any other olorful mate options just out of curiosity? I'm still concerned about the maintenance of sans but not taking it off the table. I was thinking small white gravel to split the middle.

View attachment 1274396

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Yeah plecos are just poop machines that's for sure lol. I'm a big pleco guy myself, always liked the fancy ones like L200 and some of the others like snowball and even ABNP's, but over the years I have cut down to just one ABNP and one King Tiger pleco mainly just because they create sooooo much waste in the tank.

Another thing you could do with the Y.labs and 55g is a small group of peacocks. Peacock cichlids are for the most part very relaxed compared to mbuna and others in the African family. And Y.labs usually get along with peacocks. So you could look for 4-6 nice peacocks like maybe a flametail, sunshine, german red etc etc. They would max out at around 5" and be okay in a 55 with your labs. Defiantly don't put them in if you keep the Kenyi though. I know its hard to get rid of a fish you already have because you hate to let them go, but I REALLY think you'll be best trading in the Kenyi. He's only gonna get more murderous as he grows. They are a mean little mbuna. Mine which is only 4" even chases some of my 8" predator haps, and thats in a 6ft 240g tank.

Far as sand, its actually easy to take care of a sand tank. IMo easier than gravel because you just hover the hose about 1" above the sand and it sucks up the waste. Where as waste tends to fall down in between gravel. Plus most cichlids are sand sifters and they will enjoy having the sand to dig and sift through.

MCL169

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
NY
Yeah plecos are just poop machines that's for sure lol. I'm a big pleco guy myself, always liked the fancy ones like L200 and some of the others like snowball and even ABNP's, but over the years I have cut down to just one ABNP and one King Tiger pleco mainly just because they create sooooo much waste in the tank.

Another thing you could do with the Y.labs and 55g is a small group of peacocks. Peacock cichlids are for the most part very relaxed compared to mbuna and others in the African family. And Y.labs usually get along with peacocks. So you could look for 4-6 nice peacocks like maybe a flametail, sunshine, german red etc etc. They would max out at around 5" and be okay in a 55 with your labs. Defiantly don't put them in if you keep the Kenyi though. I know its hard to get rid of a fish you already have because you hate to let them go, but I REALLY think you'll be best trading in the Kenyi. He's only gonna get more murderous as he grows. They are a mean little mbuna. Mine which is only 4" even chases some of my 8" predator haps, and thats in a 6ft 240g tank.

Far as sand, its actually easy to take care of a sand tank. IMo easier than gravel because you just hover the hose about 1" above the sand and it sucks up the waste. Where as waste tends to fall down in between gravel. Plus most cichlids are sand sifters and they will enjoy having the sand to dig and sift through.
Thanks for the good info Steve. You are right about me not wanting to get rid of a fish already in my tank. I'm also hesitant to add anything because I know how that roller-coaster of adding fish hoping it works. I do like the pea clocks. I'll sleep on it and maybe bring the dead Acei and trade for some peacocks. I want a nice collection to raise long term.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Peacocks are nice if you go that route you will enjoy them. They are by far some of the most colorful cichlids you can get. And the fact that they don't try to kill each other every day is nice too ;) If you do go with some peacocks only one I will say to stay away from is the Lwanda. I've had a few of them and for a peacock they are pretty aggressive. Beautiful fish, but mean for a peacock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store