Yet another ZooDiver build thread (Shark display)

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
If this is in SW Florida plz tell me where lol

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Located in the Ft Lauderdale area.
That being said, I'm working on an update for this thread that should be posted this week. Just trying to find the right words to put together along with updated pics. Been super busy with a few projects and haven't had time.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Well, I promised an update. I wasn't exactly sure how to approach it - so I'm using the straight forward method. It has been a rough couple of weeks for me and my crew. I also want to thank all of you for following the process of this build. 20,000+ views is pretty cool. I know several of you made the trip to see the display in person and talked with me about it. I'm glad MFK has shown such amazing support of another one of my little projects. I hope to post another one soon for you guys.

Anyway.....

The 10 year lease on the building was up, and the owner made the choice not to renew it. That being said, it all had to come out. It took a LOT of hard work, a few favors called in and the typical blood/sweat/tears of a large scale build - just in reverse.
I'm happy to say that four major facilities were willing to extend an open hand and offer housing the animals from the displays. The sharks, eels and fish will be able to been seen at Wonders of Wildlife in Missouri (www.wondersofwildlife.org), Theater of the Sea (www.theaterofthesea.com), Georgia Aquarium (www.georgiaaquarium.org) and Sea World Orlando (www.seaworld.com). All facilities and their related staff were very helpful when trying to coordinate such a big undertaking.
We had to set up various transports, and then bang them out as quickly (and safely) as possible. Everything had to come out in one well planned motion as the display drained. Prior to the shark tank, the twin 3,700 gallon displays had to be drained and livestock relocated.
Here's a sjot of the 3,700 gallon artificial reef going down.

It was put on a flat bed tow truck and hauled away to it's new home.

The big day for the shark display took 20+ hours straight. No breaks for lunch or talking. Once the water started to go down, we HAD to move fast. Animal lives were in our hands. I won't get into details. Everything was hand caught (sharks caught by myself), transfered out in stretchers to state of the art transport systems that had enough mobile filtration to put most normal display tanks to shame.

A few last pictures prior to the rush of the day.

I don't have a lot of pics of the action since we were all busy moving animals. The two black tip reef sharks and three white tip reef sharks were caught by hand and guided into a stretcher while the tank was still full. High strung sharks like that tend to spook when water levels drop, and I didn't want to risk rostrum or even spinal damage from a paniced shark. After they were out, I started draining the exhibit so we could catch the two 5 foot moray eels, hundreds of native fish and of course the nurse shark (who we saved for last due to the number of people it took to lift her). We ended up lowering her down with a fork lift.
Here are a few shots.

Me catching the nurse shark.

Center dock piling removed.

Acrylic was cut down the seams and removed in half sections. It will be reassembled at it's new location. All three big show tanks were sold together for a new public aquarium in FL. They will be put to good use, and my original design for the shark tank will live on in a new location.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I think St Augustine area for a new aquarium there. I could be wrong. There were a few places looking at them, but I think they are the final buyer.

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
That would be awesome if it was st.Augustine. half hour from where I am.I saw the show tanked did an episode at a restaurant there.don't really care for the show.i wish it was just about the tanks and fish not all the other garbage.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Yeah, the two shows are aimed at the general public and not so much for fish people. Kind of like real cooks don't usually enjoy Hell's Kitchen, bikers don't usually enjoy West Coast Choppers, herp people don't usually enjoy Gator Boys and racers don't usually enjoy Street Outlaws.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Well, I guess this display will live on for awhile. I just realized it is part of the Season 3 opening sequence for Fish Tank Kings on Nat Geo WILD every week!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store