You think your FISH is platinum...

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
...well I bet my frogs are EVEN MORE SO! (And they were $5/ea + s/h...)

IMG_20131025_180049.jpg

IMG_20131025_180027.jpg

IMG_20131025_180035.jpg

They're a misc species of african reed frog, which is pretty much the type of frog I've found does well in my swamp.

IMG_20131025_180049.jpg

IMG_20131025_180027.jpg

IMG_20131025_180035.jpg

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Awesome find!
Thanks! I actually had no idea they'd look like this, I got a bulk rate on a batch of assorted mixed african reed frogs from Outback Reptiles, and about half look like this. Some have a bit more yellow in them, and some are camo brown and green. I actually saw two of the brown ones locked in mating last night, and they've only been in there since Weds.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I have dealt with Outback Reptiles in person - I, too, have heard bad things about them - but when you are buying in person, you can see what you are buying - their prices are SUPER - just make sure you can actually see them first, or in person. Lots of WC stuff, which is why they have a bad rep, since WC stuff can be more difficult.
Wow - on the breeding :)

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Nice snag. Have you ever had any other experiences with them? I've heard nothing but bad things when it comes to snakes and lizards.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
You mean outback? No I haven't. Their site is good and they often have very unique WC stock but I could see them being a little sketchy. The guy was a bit off on the phone and they didn't do the best packaging job tbh. Like they used these weird little flimsy plastic cartons with tops that almost seemed like they had built-in tape to hold them on. So like, one of them had opened up in transit and I actually had to catch a couple of frogs out of the surrounding newspaper. They seemed no worse for the wear, though.

Honestly I think what happened here was that he sold off the more colorful ones at shows (there were originally green translucent ones in the batch but he told me he didn't have them anymore on the phone) and was willing to let the rest go really cheap. I paid like $210 for 40 of them shipped, and he threw in at least an extra 10 or so. So I can't complain too much. I should also note that they looked way more tan when on white paper towel, and only really turned this white under my lighting, so maybe these guys really were the dregs for them. One man's trash...

Not sure if I'd go to them for anything expensive/big, though. But they frequently have stuff others don't, and it's often cheap. So you get what you pay for, it seems to me.

Edit-I was writing this as Jude was writing his review above, and it seems like we're making essentially the same point. :cheers:

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Friggin sweet dude. I want a couple now

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Well if I have any tadpoles in there I'll let you know. Although it'd be hard to tell who the parents are.

Actually what I've got breeding for sure right now and have a bunch of tads of are my hieroglyphic reed frogs (hyperolius hieroglyphicus) which are definitely pure bred. They're actually way cooler looking than the guys above imo, although their call is insanely loud. Def going to make those available when they become froglets. Some of my tads are like 1/3'' long already, but I heard they can take a long time to come out of the water, so it might be several months still.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store