MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Do tell! The dwarf puffers would be the usual suspects so I'm surprised.
That’s what surprised me lol. This was during my bad days of fish keeping where I did stupid stuff, so that didn’t help. The minnows would chase around the puffers and steal food. The dominant male puffer was the one to kill the other puffers, but never bothered with the minnows. The minnows are a bold fish, they don’t seem to be too worried about who they are bothering.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
From a cold water point of view I love the Crucian Carp. Although I'm never likely to keep them in an aquarium I can get my "fix" by angling for them. A lake a few miles from where I live has as good head of Crucians in there and from time to time i'll pop down to see if I can catch any.

From a tropical point of view I love the big lemonfin barbs, and their smaller cousins, the filament barb.

stockbridge_pond_34_scale_lateral_line_crucian_carp_400.jpg

IMG_20210519_220515_HDR.jpg

Filament-Barb-Tropical-Fish.jpg

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
From a cold water point of view I love the Crucian Carp. Although I'm never likely to keep them in an aquarium I can get my "fix" by angling for them. A lake a few miles from where I live has as good head of Crucians in there and from time to time i'll pop down to see if I can catch any.

From a tropical point of view I love the big lemonfin barbs, and their smaller cousins, the filament barb.

View attachment 1475925

View attachment 1475927

View attachment 1475928
I miss my filament barbs, that iridescence and the red the males get when ready to spawn are incredible.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I miss my filament barbs, that iridescence and the red the males get when ready to spawn are incredible.
I think their max size is possibly their best attribute. They will max out at 6-7" so well within reach of the average hobbyist with mid size tanks.

The size, the iridescent greens, the bright pink hues on the males, the bright red in the tail fin tips, those streamers on the fins, wow, their activity levels, easy to feed. This fish has everything.

However, there's always a deal breaker. They will destroy a planted tank. Once mine reached a certain size they became voracious overnight. I had to put my shoal of 6 in my unplanted 360.

That aside, they are, and will probably remain, one of my all time favourite fish.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I think their max size is possibly their best attribute. They will max out at 6-7" so well within reach of the average hobbyist with mid size tanks.

The size, the iridescent greens, the bright pink hues on the males, the bright red in the tail fin tips, those streamers on the fins, wow, their activity levels, easy to feed. This fish has everything.

However, there's always a deal breaker. They will destroy a planted tank. Once mine reached a certain size they became voracious overnight. I had to put my shoal of 6 in my unplanted 360.

That aside, they are, and will probably remain, one of my all time favourite fish.
I agree completely. Mine did the same thing, then they spawned.

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
That’s what surprised me lol. This was during my bad days of fish keeping where I did stupid stuff, so that didn’t help. The minnows would chase around the puffers and steal food. The dominant male puffer was the one to kill the other puffers, but never bothered with the minnows. The minnows are a bold fish, they don’t seem to be too worried about who they are bothering.
Interesting

Reactions: Deadeye

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
My 8 even chew at the Java fern but they completely leave alone Indian floating fern and duckweed, go figure!

They are just way too skittish in a 20” wide 120ukg tank, even with lots of bog wood and floating cover.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Fantastic photos, but how did you manage to have 2 together? :jaw-dropp
Part of my trial. The two I got from the same batch get on fabulous at 5” in a 4ft 50ukg tank. They now moved to a 180ukg with some small Mahseer and all get on well. Then I have a 2 ft black and a 15” variagated in the pond that get on well too. The plan is to grow the pair up to 16” and add them to the pond. Trial is to see if these will behave more as a shoaling fish which is what I would expect them to do in nature.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store