Your favorite tankbuster miniatures

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
In regards to some users considering this thread unnecessary or not making sense for MonsterFishKeepers who I forgot to respond to: most of us (myself included) already own pretty big tanks with pretty big fish (as you most likely already know), but I think this thread is good for the following:

-Even though you may be a Monster Fish Keeper, you aren't always on the highest level. As an example: while my 473 liter is space enough for a school of the fairly big clown loach, it's a puddle for something like a red tail catfish.
So you'd need an alternative for a tankbuster you want that does not fit your level of monster fish keeping.
-Just a good, interesting discussion topic. As an example, even though I have space for clown loaches, it interests me what alternatives fishkeepers who want some but don't have the space might go for, and it seems many other users here also just find it of interest for discussion.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Yes I know you sent this before. I don’t see the resemblance still.
the only thing I’m consider a tank buster miniature is probably the fire eel and spiny banded eel. Both have same body shape, same behaviour, basically everything besides the colouration, and one is 6” the other can be 2-3ft

View attachment 1477676

View attachment 1477677
I'll add golden weather loaches for xanthic fire eels, since they match in shape and color but one is 4 times the size of the other.
Bonus: you get the same golden color without a barren wallet.

1635692396779.png

1635692435793.png

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yes I know you sent this before. I don’t see the resemblance still.
the only thing I’m consider a tank buster miniature is probably the fire eel and spiny banded eel. Both have same body shape, same behaviour, basically everything besides the colouration, and one is 6” the other can be 2-3ft

View attachment 1477676

View attachment 1477677
Imo peacock eel works better as a substitute, as it has similar horizontal stripes:
1635694750216.jpeg
1635694778230.jpeg

Reactions: xenacanth9

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Yes. Had been meaning to get to it but didn't get the chance.

Here are some of those:

-Ripsaw catfish->Striped or spotted Raphael catfish.
-Common/sailfin pleco->Snowball pleco (costs permitting of course).
-Clown loach (not a tankbuster but too big for many tanks)->Striped kuhli loach (since the pattern matches).
-Golden gar->Golden weather loach (also takes a big strain off your wallet!).

Reactions: xenacanth9
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store