Your favorite tankbuster miniatures

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Edit: to stay on topic, dwarf gourami as a substitute for giant gourami. I think most people who wanted a giant gourami would agree with this, dwarfs are much more colorful and peaceful.

I believe it is a huge stretch to say that dwarf gourami are peaceful... maybe their attacks aren't as noticeable, but they are nasty. And a full colored RTGG is a beautiful, charming and personable pet fish.

Reactions: Deadeye

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I wonder why blue acaras aren't more popular among cichlid fans. They could be a good substitute for oscars, jaguars, wolves, red devils, etc.
Blue acaras tend to be nasty with each other as well... they are part of the andinoacara group. most acaras are feisty

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Edit: to stay on topic, dwarf gourami as a substitute for giant gourami. I think most people who wanted a giant gourami would agree with this, dwarfs are much more colorful and peaceful.

I believe it is a huge stretch to say that dwarf gourami are peaceful... maybe their attacks aren't as noticeable, but they are nasty. And a full colored RTGG is a beautiful, charming and personable pet fish.
Only problem with dwarf gourami is the high susceptibility to iridovirus due to excessive inbreeding, most die early to this.

SalviniCichlidFan

Dovii
MFK Member
May 30, 2021
www.andrew-li.org
I don't have that big tanks so my definition of "monster fish" is a bit smaller than you alls. But this is my thought
Blue Acaras (not the electric blue ones) substitute for Green Terror.
edit: I mean how can you not agree with this.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I don't have that big tanks so my definition of "monster fish" is a bit smaller than you alls. But this is my thought
Totally agree, they may not be as mean, but a really nice blue acara looks a lot like a gt, and if not blue acaras, there are a lot of other andinoacara that all look similar to gt (of course a gt isn’t too large of a cichlid in the first place).

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica

I wasn't talking about red tail giant gouramis, just regular when I said color. And since it was mentioned, to substitute a red tail giant, a pearl gourami would do.

And yes, dwarfs can be nasty. I learned that sometime after saying that.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Honestly I can't think of a better one. Close cousin and very similar appearance when it's a wild caught blue acara.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Blue acaras tend to be nasty with each other as well... they are part of the andinoacara group. most acaras are feisty
That would make them an adequate substitute for the more aggressive of the big cichlids I mentioned. Possibly the turquoise cichlid too.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
That would make them an adequate substitute for the more aggressive of the big cichlids I mentioned. Possibly the turquoise cichlid too.
If by turquoise cichlid you mean umbees, I’m not sure there really can be a small cichlid equivalent. For the big, hyper-aggressive cichlids like festae and umbees there is a certain charm that just cannot be captured with other species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store