Your Filters

mat_per

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Iowa
I just read an intresting thread on running carbon in your filter, I have always done so, but it seems that the majority opinion says not to. So what do you all use for filtration? Carbon? Just Bio?

BDawg364

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2006
Milledgeville/Alpharetta
I run carbon if I am having trouble with water clarity or odor. Otherwise, I stick with bio media.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I just us a mechanical prefilter and bio filter on all of my tanks. You also reduce the risk of losing bio filtration this way.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
Since i came to this site i have removed all my carbon. I use all bio. with no problems, infact i would say my fish are healthier, they seem more active to me. i doo keep a supply of carbon on hand to remove meds if necessary

skinless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
Edmonton, CAN
bio and mech only. no carbon except for an emergency sack on hand.

Carl D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Doncaster, UK.
No carbon, just mechanical and chemical in the big tank, but mechanical, biological and chemical in the little one.

Carl.

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
I used to use it yars ago it great for removing medication or tannins (discoloration). The problem with using it is it is only active for a brief time, requiring frequent replacement costing ££££££££ or $$$$$$$$$$$ I do keep some around just in case meds need to be removed from the water but i run all my filter with out it. Also if you leave the carbon in to long it can release the chemicals back into the water not good for your fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store