Your fish literature

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
With the advent of forums and social media it has been cheaper and easier to get information online. Despite this, books and magazines are still pretty cool. I prefer magazines since they are more up to date in most cases but I'll never say no to more books.
1593788417937.png
  • "Aquarium plants manual", "Water quality" and "The tropical fish" are older books that I have not read in a while, worth a revisit!
  • "River monsters" is a collection of stories by Jeremy Wade, host of the river monsters TV show. I quite enjoyed it! Talks about a few things, not just fish
  • "Freshwater life" is my field guide for common organisms in the aquatic ecosystems in my South Africa. Animals, plants and microorganisms are discussed
  • Amazonas - HIGH quality aquarium magazines from Germany. Must subscribe again, nobody keeps fish like the Germans.
  • Practical fishkeeping - Nice magazine from the UK, also explores marine keeping
  • Freshwater fishes - Guide to all the fish species in Southern Africa, comprehensive and very interesting to me
That's my small collection. What reading materials are you guys hoarding?

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
I have very few books and let my Amazonas subscription lapse a few years ago. But that is me and others should do what they like. here are my books:

Baensch Aquarium Atlas by Dr. Rüdiger Rieh, Hans A. Baensch
Back to Nature Guide to L-Catfish by Ingo Seidel (I have met Ingo and chatted with him at events.)
Loricariids of the Middle Rio Xingu by Mauricio Camargo, Heriberto Gimênes Junior, Leandro Melo de Sousa & Lucia Rapp Py-Daniel- This is a unique book as every page is done in duplicate but with different photos. One page is in English and the other is in German.
The 101 Best Freshwater Nano Species by Mark Denaro & Rachel O'Leary- I know both the authors and have fish from them both as well.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Aquarium Plants and The Planted Aquarium both by Kasselmann. The first is a botany level text.
Aquarium Plants by Pablo Tepoot. Pictures galore. Not much text. Great reference though.
Hobbyists Guide to the Natural Aquarium by Dr. Chris Andrews. Dutch design. This book is what got me hooked on planted tanks. I don’t do Dutch layout but love the ideas.
Nature Aquarium 1, 2, and 3. My ideal aquarium master level keeper.
C56486E9-ACD3-4C87-B714-BD2AF0F5096E.jpeg

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I have very few books and let my Amazonas subscription lapse a few years ago. But that is me and others should do what they like. here are my books:

Baensch Aquarium Atlas by Dr. Rüdiger Rieh, Hans A. Baensch
Back to Nature Guide to L-Catfish by Ingo Seidel (I have met Ingo and chatted with him at events.)
Loricariids of the Middle Rio Xingu by Mauricio Camargo, Heriberto Gimênes Junior, Leandro Melo de Sousa & Lucia Rapp Py-Daniel- This is a unique book as every page is done in duplicate but with different photos. One page is in English and the other is in German.
The 101 Best Freshwater Nano Species by Mark Denaro & Rachel O'Leary- I know both the authors and have fish from them both as well.
I have always wanted a copy of Baensch. I have Axelrod’s Mini atlas.

Shark75

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2020
A crap ton that started with my first book when I was in kindergarten in 1980 - Innes's Exotic Aquarium Fishes which has practically disintegrated over the years. Had to buy a newer edition just to have it in the collection. Used to bring that book with me everywhere when I was a kid. Also, boxes of TFH magazines in storage. Just can't seem to get rid of them.

20200703_122011.jpg

Justepic

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
London
I am looking at getting at books right now, recently subscribe to Practical Fishkeeping. But why the f**k are they so expensive?!!? The good ones like in the hundreds of pounds to buy....

I have some decent ones though, a few brief books about catfish, cichlids and such. Nothin that stands out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store