Your opinion on if I'll have enough BB

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Just got my 300 gallon metal trough for my AST (I know I have to seal it so the zinc doesn't leach) I plan on using a 55 gallon drum with a 2000 ish gph pump. Im going to pump water into the bottom of the drum where there is a void of just water and it's going to be pushed up thru rocks of smaller and smaller size till the top is just pool filter sand. (I've seen a lot of people use these on large koi ponds) so my question is will there be enough BB made to keep my alligator snapping turtle tank stable.

Cleaning the filter is easy it'll have a valve on bottom to suck out all the big junk. Then there is a pipe that you hook a air hose up to and "boil" out the smaller stuff

This will give you an idea of what I'm talking about, my plans are a little different but you get the idea.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You probably won't really no until you get the filter up and running for about a month or so until the nitrifying cycle is complete. When you add the AST and feeding it make routine water parameter checks with a good test kit. Also do routine water changes and if you test the water and any ammonia, or nitrite is showing up after testing then you need to add more bio media, or up the wc's. Be patient and make sure the cycle is complete.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Forgot to mention make sure you treat your tap water with a good dechlorinator such as Prime or Safe thats if you don't know this already. Chlorine will kill your bio bacteria which will cause problems recycling may occur.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store