zebra moray! super stoked and need feeding advice.

LD50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Austin TX
So I was asking about a comet or fu manchu earlier this week...well went to the LFS today and fell in luuuuve with a stunning little zebra moray eel that I purchased and will go pick up tomorrow. Never had an eel so I figured why not, so I came home did a WC to my newly cycled tank and proceded to do my best to "eel proof" the tank just to be safe. Now I know your thinking "zomg moray in a 56g tank wtf!!" but he he a lil guy (bout 12") and I think the tank will be just a dandy QT untill I can make space in my 48x24x30 140 which he should be fine in for quite some time.

I do have a question about diet, I was thinking NLS/nori stuffed shrimp, squid chunks and silver sides would make up the bulk of his diet with the occasional live critter treat. Would this be a proper diet? is there anything specific that I should feed him? also how often should a eel be fed? are they any diffrent really than fish as far as feeding?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
The diet seems well, my snowflake lived healthy grew fast on silver sides from hikari if it makes a differnce. I fed my snow flake a silver every other day...also I would grab a feeding tool and use it to give him food so you know he is eating.

Is your tank completely covered? My snowflake ended up jumping out of my tank through a few inches of hole in the back of my tank....poor guy miss him.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
Agree on the observation regarding the food, although I wouldn't bother with any live offerings. I feed all my eels using tongs

stopsharkfinning

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2011
perth western australia
have had a zebra for over a decade, he will only eat prawns i have tryed lots of food over the years but prawns it is

LD50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Austin TX
Well I plan on useing tongs, I have them for feeding my peacock mantis shrimp. My tank is completely covered, well her QT/temporary 56g is. Her main tank will be as well however the overflows are a concern but I will get them screened off. I now just need to figure out what I am going to put with her when she gets into her 240g. I was thinking a powder blue/caribian blue tang, a school of chromis/pj's a low key (blue jaw?) trigger and a GSM clown.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store