Zebra Muscles

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
anybody know where to obtain these guys i read about them in tfh a few months ago and wanted to do a cool water filter using them thanks in advance
Nic

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Sorry. Zebra mussels are prohibited in PA and most of the US.

Pennsylvania ANS

It is UNLAWFUL to possess, to introduce or import, transport, sell, purchase, offer for sale or barter the following live species in the Commonwealth: Snakehead (all species), Black Carp, Bighead Carp, Silver Carp, Zebra Mussel, Quagga Mussel, Round Goby and Tubenose Goby.

Aquatic nuisance species (ANS) are aquatic animals and plants that have been introduced into waterways in which they do not live naturally. They have harmful effects on the natural resources in these ecosystems and the human uses of these resources. Some other least-wanted ANS in Pennsylvania are European ruffe, sea lamprey, hydrilla, spiny water flea, purple loosestrife, Eurasian watermilfoil, Asian clam, and red-eared slider (turtle), Rusty Crayfish (Orconectes rusticus).

People are often the cause of ANS moving from one place to another. Help prevent the spread of ANS by doing the following:

? When retrieving your boat for the day, check your boat, motor and trailer for weeds and other items ?tagging along.?

? Wash your boat?s hull with hot water or with a high-pressure spray.

? Drain livewells, bilges and other compartments.

? Drain all standing water from the boat.

? Don?t dump leftover bait into the water you?re fishing, unless you collected the bait there.

Pennsylvania has laws for the propagation, stocking, transportation and importing of fish. See Chapter 71 of the Fish and Boat Code.

http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat...y/nuisance.html

yourmylunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2005
FL
hey will take over he tank and your local watershed destroy at all cost

thamunsta

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2005
the dark abyss
there are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many here. somtimes a rock the size of a human head will have hundreds on it they suck for swimming because they tend to cut up feet.... they do a good job at that. they dont have any natural predators here either so they flourish. they populate every hard surface on this lake and the river that connects to it.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Here on Seneca Lake there are tons of them, if you touch the bottom you get cut up by their shells. I once put em in a newt tank and they took the thing over.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
i read how well they filtered this guys pond and the colder the water the better they worked thought they would make a nice lil bio filter so to say o well scratcht that idea i dont need any problems with the common wealth of pa

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
They are illegal in most states for good reason, they are pollution and chlorine tolerant, so much so that they cause stoppages in ware pipes and sewers, they breed by the millions. They can survive in a sewage treatment pond and live a week out of water, Getting rid of them or excluding them from industrial water intakes is a multimillion dollar a year industry. for more info try this link. http://www.dgif.state.va.us/wildlife/zebra_mussels.html
Do yourself a favor and just say NO.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
i am i dont want to risk anything might just get a few asian clams

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
The clarity in Lake Superior has really gotten better because of them, but they are a nuisance.

mainy999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah Im from PA and I remember there was a problem in a stream and the surrounding watershed with zebra mussels a few years ago. After reading the damage they cause I had no interest in ever keeping them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store