Zebra Shovelnose Catfish

Mikiblu30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
San Bernardino
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum, I currently have a 55 gal, 20gal and 10 gal; next week my new 200 gal, custom tank will be arriving. I currently have a Tiger Shovelnose; 2 Electric Blue Jack Dempsy's ; 1 Jack Dempsy ; 1 Fire Eel and 1 jewel cichlid.

I really want to add a Zebra Shovelnose catfish to my fish family but I have not been able to find one anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find one of these beautiful fish in the US?

Thanks in advance for your help....

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
You may want to consider finding a new home for your Tiger. They get 4 feet long.

Clicky <---

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
by zebra do you mean a Tig?? and im sorry but I have to agree with Muni. A 200 really isnt anywhere large enough for a TSN, mine is about 20" after 8months and still growing strong in the pond.

Tom LoFaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
11704 NY
He means Tigrinus Catfish, They also go by the common name Zebra Shovelnose for the apparent zebra-like markings.

http://www.neoprodigy.com/gallery/images/aquatics/2010_01_24/20100124-2.jpg

Pic by Neoprodigy

Your best bet is probably buying them online, seeing how most LFS won't carry them, but Idk about ordering one through them, that might work. You also might be able to find a vendor on here selling one. Anyway, they carry a hefty price with them, They'd usually run $200+

Mikiblu30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
San Bernardino
True about the Tiger, he's a little guy now about 7inches. When I bought him at the LFS they never mentioned he would become enormous. My husband and I are considering our options...thanks for the warning though.

MATTCB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2005
Maryland
Is the tiger in the tank with the other fish you mentioned? If so its only a matter of time before he gets to them. Best of luck.

AllFishAdrian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2010
South Florida
Tigrinus are very slow growers. Extremely territorial to other cats and max out around 30" Mines about 2 years old and only 14". Very nice cat for any monster tank, but rehome that tiger shovel.

Mikiblu30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
San Bernardino
Yea, I was really unprepared when I got the TSN, didn't do enough research before I got him. He's changed the way I purchase; no more impulse buys :)...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store