Zeeboo, my Short Tailed Opossum.

logo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
Kansas
You could try one of the reptile toppers to give her some more room.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
ragnew;3499689; said:
Thanks for all the nice comments folks! Sorry I haven't replied sooner, been pretty busy lately.

Vicious - I've read that some of them retain their omnivoreish feeding habits up to and beyond adult hood, but Zeebs just decided enough was enough I guess lol. I've also heard that some of the STO's refuse to eat kibble in general and only woof down fresh fruits and veggies. So I really think it depends on the individual animal.

Louie - I've been bitten by her a few times when she was a youngster, but it was only because I'd just got done handling her food items. She bit down (lightly) then let go immediately following it. I've never seen anykind of aggressive behavior where my STO's concerned. She's easily the sweetest animal I've dealt with (up there with my dogs / cats). As a matter of fact, the pic I posted of her with her mouth open was one shot shortly after I'd fed her a cricket. I was hoping to get one of her munching on it, but she pounded it down to fast.

She is pretty darn arboreal as well. I actually decided to set her enclosure up to give her a more "natural" look to it. She's got a hide to use is she feels the need, and she's got quite the array of grapevine and different wood pieces to use to her leisure as well. After the lights go out, she's all over the place.

Thanks for the comments on her fur! I actually think her diet has a part to do with that (I could be wrong though). Another factor is her sex. Females tend to have nicer fur then males. The fur on those guys can get pretty greasy indeed.

But so far so good. Though I assume that each of them has their own disposition.

ericfish - Haha, thanks man! I like that pic as well. Though I had to bait her into giving me a shot with her mouth open. She was actually eating a cricket during that pic. She's never so much as hissed at me.

Thanks again folks!
-----------------
Thanks for the info and yes the sex might be the reason why the fur looked greasy to me as pet store only had young males.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Vicious_Fish;3500545; said:
"The Turtle X-ing" in Dillsburg has them. It's on Route 15 south. They also have tables setup at many of the reptile shows in the area including Hamburg.
cool! i work the next reptile show here in october. ill have to get my buddy to look for me. they are really cute!

to the OP, if you dont mind my asking how much did u pay?

ragnew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2008
Colorado
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;3508153; said:
cool! i work the next reptile show here in october. ill have to get my buddy to look for me. they are really cute!

to the OP, if you dont mind my asking how much did u pay?
Don't mind at all. I actually paid like $139.00 for mine. I know the manager of the shop that I purchased her from, and I managed to snag a bit of a discount. The normal price was $159.00.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
ragnew;3514845; said:
Don't mind at all. I actually paid like $139.00 for mine. I know the manager of the shop that I purchased her from, and I managed to snag a bit of a discount. The normal price was $159.00.

I checked them out in area pet store. The females are more than the males. $159 isn't bad for a female.

prettypistol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2008
Frederick, MD
Shes adorable! A friend of mine had two that she tried to breed (she had no luck). I've always liked them and considered bringing one home but my fiance cant stand them...so he told me no... :(

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
ragnew;3514845; said:
thank you! i like them. might have to find one. lol. that will go over great !

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
What's their maximum size? She's too cool! I got to play with a normal possum last summer, he had very soft fur and liked people quite a bit. I'd love to get one of these one day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store