Ziss Bubble Bio Moving Bed Filter Aquarium Coop

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Whats the price on 4 of these filters compared to say 50L of k1 or similar media?
I've seen clones of these on Amazon for about half price. However, to do a separate k1 media bin to my sump would also require a pump as a price add on.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I've seen clones of these on Amazon for about half price. However, to do a separate k1 media bin to my sump would also require a pump as a price add on.
Well for these filters you have to have a pump to since they are airdriven filters.

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Well for these filters you have to have a pump to since they are airdriven filters.
Sorry, I meant an additional pump, such as a Jebao dcp, to pump water from my sump into the k1 media container (rubbermaid or trash can). The jebao would be the additional pump I'd need to purchase. I already have an air pump to run the air stones for turning the k1 media.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Sorry, I meant an additional pump, such as a Jebao dcp, to pump water from my sump into the k1 media container (rubbermaid or trash can). The jebao would be the additional pump I'd need to purchase. I already have an air pump to run the air stones for turning the k1 media.
How is your sump built if you need an extra container for k1? That sounds quite wierd in my ears

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I'm wondering if the Ziss filters really support enough BB at that size? Even Joey King of DIY (who claims to have been the first to make similar, and everyone copied him), later came out in a video saying he didn't think smaller moving bed filters (e.g. inside a tank) held enough BB and that you need a huge amount to make it really work. I myself don't know which is true.

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I'm wondering if the Ziss filters really support enough BB at that size? Even Joey King of DIY (who claims to have been the first to make similar, and everyone copied him), later came out in a video saying he didn't think smaller moving bed filters (e.g. inside a tank) held enough BB and that you need a huge amount to make it really work. I myself don't know which is true.

I have an 2L cokebottle with hel-x 13 media tumbling in a 250L tank where im growing out three balasharks 6 jags and one l160 and that filter together with an eheim 2252 internal filter with only sponges in it handles the load really nice even though im feeding heavy in that tank. Changing prob only 30% once a week in the tank.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I have an 2L cokebottle with hel-x 13 media tumbling in a 250L tank where im growing out three balasharks 6 jags and one l160 and that filter together with an eheim 2252 internal filter with only sponges in it handles the load really nice even though im feeding heavy in that tank. Changing prob only 30% once a week in the tank.
Yeah I'm not discounting the possibility your coke bottle set-up works, but the question would arise how much of your nitrification process is coming from that, and how much is coming from the Eheim, not to mention BB that coats most of your tank, esp. substrate. Now if your coke bottle works in a bare bottom tank and without other filtration, then I think we would have more proof a smaller moving bed filter does indeed work.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Yeah I'm not discounting the possibility your coke bottle set-up works, but the question would arise how much of your nitrification process is coming from that, and how much is coming from the Eheim, not to mention BB that coats most of your tank, esp. substrate. Now if your coke bottle works in a bare bottom tank and without other filtration, then I think we would have more proof a smaller moving bed filter does indeed work.
Its a bare bottom tank actually:) i used to have one of these bottles on a 540L tank i was growing an ray out in combined with an sunsun 304. Then i moved the cannister two days prior to movin the ray and the tank just to get another tank up and running and didnt see any spike in nitrite during those two days at all so it can handle some bioload. But then i think hel-x media is better then ziss k1 ripoff media. I have on zissfilter just to test it out but cant tell on that tank since im growing a huge monstera in the tank and quite low bioload with an small fahaka.

1558113506231473339461.jpg

Reactions: islandguy11

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
How is your sump built if you need an extra container for k1? That sounds quite wierd in my ears
I have 2 50g containers plumbed together as my sump. I'm thinking of using a pump to move water out of one of these containers and into a 3rd that is only k1 media. This 3rd container would then drain back into my sump via overflow.

Sounds complicated, but I'm about DIY (and being cheap)!

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I have 2 50g containers plumbed together as my sump. I'm thinking of using a pump to move water out of one of these containers and into a 3rd that is only k1 media. This 3rd container would then drain back into my sump via overflow.

Sounds complicated, but I'm about DIY (and being cheap)!

Why not just throw som k1 in the first tote?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store