Zorro needs a friend(s)

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Zorro is a zebra danio and is now all alone except a nitrate snail that I never see in a 10gl tank.
I had guppies but even after breeding a couple times everyone died out over the past 6-8mo. So I’m done with guppies. It’s no fun having fish that don’t even make it a year.

I’m not completely sold on adding tetras. I might consider neon or black, but the blacks I can only get as wild. The guppies were wild so I’m hesitant to get more wild fish. I feel they are weak.

I’m also not sure I want to get more zebras. If I did, how many would be good? Maybe add 4 more?

I am seriously considering adding a male betta. I loved my male I had a few years back. He was awesome.
Would a male betta get along with a lone zebra? Or a school or zebras/neons?
Any bottom dwelling fish that would be a good match for small schoolers or betta?

I don’t want the tank to be over stocked, but would like to know my options:) I tend to overstock so I need guidance. lol

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Zorro is a zebra danio and is now all alone except a nitrate snail that I never see in a 10gl tank.
I had guppies but even after breeding a couple times everyone died out over the past 6-8mo. So I’m done with guppies. It’s no fun having fish that don’t even make it a year.

I’m not completely sold on adding tetras. I might consider neon or black, but the blacks I can only get as wild. The guppies were wild so I’m hesitant to get more wild fish. I feel they are weak.

I’m also not sure I want to get more zebras. If I did, how many would be good? Maybe add 4 more?

I am seriously considering adding a male betta. I loved my male I had a few years back. He was awesome.
Would a male betta get along with a lone zebra? Or a school or zebras/neons?
Any bottom dwelling fish that would be a good match for small schoolers or betta?

I don’t want the tank to be over stocked, but would like to know my options:) I tend to overstock so I need guidance. lol

Checkout pygmy Corydoras and see if you like them. Preferably Pygmy Cory Pygmaeus they actually swim midwater not like your larger Cory.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Ok I checked those guys out and they are adorable. I’ve never kept corys, but I like their look.
I just saw my fish store I like shopping at got some salt and pepper corys in.
A quick google search says they get .75” They are being sold 10 for XX amount. Would ten be too many for a 10gal tank?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok I checked those guys out and they are adorable. I’ve never kept corys, but I like their look.
I just saw my fish store I like shopping at got some salt and pepper corys in.
A quick google search says they get .75” They are being sold 10 for XX amount. Would ten be too many for a 10gal tank?

They won't sell 3 to you. You want to use the inch per gallon rule?:)

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
They won't sell 3 to you. You want to use the inch per gallon rule?:)
I haven’t asked. The shop s a couple hours away, I just saw their Facebook post.
I would think they could sell less together, but Incase their policy is to sell a minimum of 10 I’d want to know if that’s ok.
My other tanks hold fish that would eat these guys up like little snacks, so I can’t disperse them in other tanks. Lol

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I haven’t asked. The shop s a couple hours away, I just saw their Facebook post.
I would think they could sell less together, but Incase their policy is to sell a minimum of 10 I’d want to know if that’s ok.
My other tanks hold fish that would eat these guys up like little snacks, so I can’t disperse them in other tanks. Lol

Make sure they aren't these because of size.https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=271

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Nope, he has them labeled “habrosus” and they look just like the pictures online, so they are smaller.
Looking at his list I also saw emerald dwarf rasboraand celestial pearl danios too. Would a group of three from one of those be better? Maybe giving zorro a group to school with.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Nope, he has them labeled “habrosus” and they look just like the pictures online, so they are smaller.
Looking at his list I also saw emerald dwarf rasboraand celestial pearl danios too. Would a group of three from one of those be better? Maybe giving zorro a group to school with.
Go for those little rascals and they swim midwater as well. Yes for the rasbora a group of atleast 3.

Reactions: MrsE88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store